Hard Drive Folder (NTFS)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Here it goes!

format 2 hard drives (NTFS) using the Win2k PRO.

install win2kpro

second harddrive - i want it to show up as a folder within c:\ - is this called dynamic disk or not? ...if not, where do i go and what is it called???

and when formatting using win2kpro how do i know whether it is NTFS 4 or 5? ...and is there a .5 aswell??? "4.5?"

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

2K uses NTFS 5

To mount the second hard drive as a folder you need to have made the C: disk a dynamic disk, only then can it be mounted.

In disk Management if you click on the second disk there should be an option to add it as a folder.

8)

3. Mr.Cheeks

so when i do a clean install, it asks me what format fat32 + ntfs.
    i chose ntfs, once installed i go to disk management and enable c:\ to be a dynmic disk? or am i missing something?

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You got it! :biggrin

5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

Try this:
    1) Open "My Computer"
    2) Double click "C:"
    3) In the C: window, move the mouse pointer to some white space, then right click and go to New->Shortcut
    4) When the "Create Shortcut" dialog box shows up, click the [Browse] button.
    5) In the "Browse for Folder" dialog box, click the "D:" drive, then click the [OK] button.
    6) In the "Create Shortcut" dialog box, click the [Next>] button.
    7) If you wish to rename the shortcut, feel free by editing the "Type the new name for this shortcut:" field, then click the [Finish] button.

This will not result in a folder icon, but a shortcut to a drive icon.

I have to ask, why do you want to do this?

NTFS 4.0 is usually associated with:
    1. Windows NT Workstation 4.0
    2. Windows NT Server 4.0
    3. Windows NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition
    4. Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition
    NTFS 5.0 is used by:
    1. Windows 2000 Professional
    2. Windows 2000 Server
    3. Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    4. Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    Windows NT 4.0 that has had Service Pack 4 applied, can read Windows 2000 NTFS5 basic volumes.

Unless you know something more than me, there is no such thing as NTFS4.5.

I hope this helps.

References:
    1. General Product Information [for Microsoft Windows NT Server] - http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/ProductInfo/default.asp
    2. Windows 2000 - Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000
    3. Sample Chapter from MCSA Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft (r) Windows (r) 2000 Core Requirements, Exams 70-210, 70-215, 70-216, and 70-218, Second Edition by Microsoft Corporation - http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6119c.asp

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Simple - 1 - When i read, see, hear and learn something, i want to do it, i basically have to put any knowledge learnt into practise. Even if i have to format my computer and reinstall another o/s to do the job that i want to do, then, that is what i will do, even if it will do something for like 2 mins, and the process is for 1hours to setup, i'll do it.

I know Virtual Machines are simplier, but I have a spare machine to mess around with, so why not make use of it...

NTFS 4.5? There is a reason for me to believe this but cannot remember where it came for. At least i know now there is no 4.5, so cheers for that!

7. Mr.Cheeks

Found it, in my notes i wrote NTFS 4,5... When i typed the original message i thought i saw 4.5 in my head...