Hangovers!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, we all like a few beers from time to time but why do hangovers get worse the older you get? Discussed this last night with the lads and we can’t understand it as usually the more you do something (e.g. drinking beer etc.) the better you get at it!

Meant to be installing a new firewall today at work but I think that will happen tomorrow or maybe tonight if I can get back into the land of the living!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Dunno but its pretty weird. I actually went through a stage when i was 21 - about 23 where the hangovers were simply unbearable but then became ok again. Since then i cant really say i get a hangover as such.
    This is a discussion (almost ending in a slagging match on many occasions) that me and my mates have had. Only a few people agree with me that you dont actually really get hangovers that often, jus tired and worn out after a good drink!. to me a hangover is sitting the next day with my head down the not so clean toilet and not giving a fu#k about it!That simply dosent happen very often, so when i say "im just tired" i really am just tired!! :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No. You get used to it when you become a seasoned alcoholic.

Who was it who said they could never quit drinking as they wouldn't like to wake up in the morning and realise that was as good as they were going to feel all day?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL

Just noticed the xmas tree is at a weird angle and there are CDs all over the floor. Either I bumped the tree when I was putting on a CD or I put a CD on and thought it was a good idea to dance with the tree, can’t quite remember! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. CliffG

CliffG Nibble Poster

lol :biggrin

I'll love to know why I get hangovers some days when i'm not even drinking the day before :blink

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

lol cliffg, i know those horrible days!think our bodies are simply excpecting a hangover therefore you get the feeling whether uv drank or not! :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  7. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

think it's to do with having a slower metabolism as you mature. pure sucks tho.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

its all about liver function and toxin levels to be honest. you could (if you could be buggered actually spending time looking into some sources) find more detailed info on it, but it boils down to the fact that the more you abuse your liver, the less able it is to deal with the toxins in your system. Couple this with your liver function degrading as you get older anyway, and it means that hangovers (a result of the toxins in your system) stay longer, since it takes longer for your liver (and your kidneys too, now i think about it) to process and remove the alcohol/toxins from your system.

Fergal

Edit: The extent of my bothering to look into it:here. I must say that im glad i've never been drunk, so i never have to suffer hangovers.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

We had our Christmas party last night, I haven't been this hungover in a looong time...

My theory is that if you eat a moderate meal before drinking I get slightly merry and if I eat a fat greasy burger from the local snack wagon on my stumble home I'll wake up the next day hangover free, Which is why I think fry ups are a good cure as it kick starts the old body to get all the toxins out your system.

HOWEVER!

Where we had our meal the food was not great and I had not eaten all day plus I didnt eat when I got home so this morning BANG! major hangover.

Thats my theory anyway... :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dr Boyce has a few opinions on the matter :tune

1) Don't mix drinks. We all like to fill our belly with beer and when we can't fit any more go on the spirits :knife

2) Avoid anything with grapes for headaches

3) Have some food before and after your marathon session

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I personally think if it's going to be one of those nights there's nothing you can do to stop the hangover. It's just the way your body reacts at the time.

You could go out and drink the exact amount of drink two weekends in a row, have a big meal before you go out, dont mix your drinks and drink water when you get home, and the first weekend will be fine, all goes to plan and your only feeling slight delicate in the morning.

Next weekend, do the same thing and you end up spending the last two hours of your night looking into a toilet and forgetting to drink the water before crawling into bed.

This is how it works for me anyways, if you dont want hangovers, dont drink... doesnt really sell it for me either :)

WIP: A+