hands up if you're guilty ?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by grim, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To tell the truth, I've done it by mistake.

Once in a while we have gaming sessions over at a mates house and we play lan/internet games. We all booted up our laptops and connected to the wireless network, but half of us couldn't see the game server, we checked the IP addresses - everyone was on the correct range/subnet. It wasn't until we checked the wireless network we realised that some numptie set up their wireless access point without any security and for some reason some of our laptops connected to it as it was stronger than my mates wireless network.

Now my question is even though my mates wireless network is in my prefered list of wireless networks to conenct to, why did Vista connect to this unsecured wireless network? And the answer "because it's Vista" won't wash :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Nope, never done it and never would. I read the arguments for and against here and can see both sides, however, for me its simple - it doesn’t belong to me so I leave it alone.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  3. Node

Node Byte Poster

100% agree!

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  4. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

There is a small legality there, as to find out who owns the network you would haev to sniff for data or start asking people.

The first is against the wiretapping laws and comes with a hefty fine

The seccond makes you look dodgy and gets people paranoied.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't do it and i try to discourage others from doing it also. For me it is more of a morals and ethics argument, rather than a legal one. Either way, you are using something that isn't yours without the owners consent.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Did it once for about 5 minutes, then felt guilty so disconnected. :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  7. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

I haven't done it and try to discourage others, even so I got a friend to speak to their neighbour as their wireless was unsecure.

BT send's out these homehubs to users that dont have a clue, but their unsecure, at least with Orange they send them with pre defined WPA keys.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3