Had a job interview this morning

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by gosh1976, Jan 13, 2011.

1. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I had an interview with a small company this morning and it went well. They've asked me to come back next week for a second more technical interview that will consist of me troubleshooting a basic issue of some sort. It's a PC tech position that will consist of some on-site work for businesses, county government, home and some repair, upgrades, and virus removal of PC's brought in to the office. I would be able to get my hands dirty with some network troubleshooting, a tiny bit of cisco equipment, and servers as well.

I also have a phone interview with another company tomorrow. Same type position but with a slightly larger company. Fingers crossed that I'll get an offer from one of them. In the mean time the search goes on and the studying continues.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  2. zet

zet Byte Poster

Well done mate, I think the economy has finally started to improve - best of luck.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

It does look like the job market is picking up or there are a number of companies doing hiring in the beginning of the year. I just got a phone call from a hiring coordinator asking me if I was available for an in person interview tomorrow. This is for a large corporation doing 1st line help desk. The job title is Associate Help Desk Support. So, that will be two in-person and one phone interview with 3 different companies in two days time.

4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Zeb mentioned to me last year that market appeared to be picking up and he was right. Certainly seems to be far more positions appearing in my local area, the mobile is ringing quite often and emails from agents asking if I'd be interested in this or that job.

However, I haven't seen any IT positions advertised by local government for a while now...round here that was basically the best way to get into IT as they were near enough always advertising for temp/contract IT staff that in most cases turned permanent. Must admit that my big break into IT proper was getting a IT job with the local council.

Anyway, good luck with the job...hope you get it!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Alot, if not all, Government (national & local) have put a hold on recruitment in order to save £xxx's in order to balance the books...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I went to the face to face interview with the second company this morning and thought it went ok they said they would let me know they only do one round of interviews. I have received positive feedback from all three companies. I just finished the phone interview and they have asked me to come in next week for an in-person interview. Then the next day I will have the second interview with the first company. The hiring process is so stressful- hopefully I get an offer from at least one of the companies!

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I love January.
    Last year I bagged my first IT job in January, in my first real IT interview. (got paid off after 6 months, they lost the contract 3 freakin days after I started)
    So far this year I have bagged one face-to-face with a major financial institution (this Tuesday, fingers crossed) and aced a telephone interview today, just waiting confirmation of the date of the face-to-face on that one.
    I'm really hopeful on the first one, they called me within 15 mins of sending off my details, and then called me again two hours later to say the IT manager wanted me to come in for an interview. The job had only been up a few hours so looking good.
    I've barely had a sniff any other month of the year for the past two years.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I got a job offer! It's a very small managed IT services company working mostly with small business and home users. So, there probably will not be much opportunity to get much exposure to cisco stuff or more advanced set ups. On the other hand when interesting stuff does come up with it being a small company I will likely be involved.

10. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Congratulations gosh1976!

11. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congratulations Gosh!

You are right about smaller setups, you get to have a larger overall input and it can open the door for more opportunities.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done mate, glad you have gotten a job good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good news and congrats:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys. I put in my two weeks notice today. Looking forward to getting back into applying my knowledge in the real world.

I'm looking into downloading the sbs 2011 trial and doing some reading up on sbs 2008 since I've never used it or installed it. I've only ever worked with the regular windows server 2000 and 2003 flavors and labbed with server 2008. I'll likely be getting a good bit of exposure to sbs in the new job.

15. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

Well done on your job mate. I have just installed SBS 2011 in my lab and its great but its one hell of a resource hog. Ive had to crank my hyper v server up to 10 Gigs of RAM so that I can run the little beasty. Most important thing to remember about SBS vs normal windows servers is to use the SBS console wherever possible otherwise it tends to get confused.

Anyway, congrats :-)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  16. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Boffy is spot on with that!

Well done on the new job!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)