GUYS PLEASE HELP--ADVICE NEEDED FOR A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by hussain786, Feb 13, 2008.

1. hussain786

hussain786 Bit Poster

Hi Guys

I'm not sure whether I have made the correct decision. I have been studying the A+ book for the last week. Wanting to do the exam when I have completed it.

But I have been reading the book and I am realising that even though it is quite basic it is also very very technical. And some bits which I think I might not need to the real if one day I become a desktop analyst.

I have also been reading the MCSDT book and it seems more interesting and something that interests me greatly.

I am thinking about studying for the MCSDT and where I have little knowledge of specific topics I then go and pick up that information from the A+ book.

I want to put on my CV that I am currently studying for the MCSDT and try and apply for jobs while im studying the book.

Would you advise this guys.

Certifications: BSC Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+, MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well... if you say you're studying for the MCSDT, people may not know what you're talking about. You'd get a lot better response if you say "M-C-D-S-T". ;)

The A+ provides a good foundation. Although you most certainly can pursue the MCDST, the A+ is somewhat more recognized by employers.

Yes, the MCDST is more interesting if you enjoy desktop support. Yes, the MCDST is of a slightly higher level than the A+. But more companies know what the A+ is... and some companies (not all, but some) will expect a desktop support tech to have it.

Also, remember that you won't always get to do the "fun stuff" in IT... even as a desktop support tech, there's still a lot of boring, frustrating things like printer repair to have to do.

Just my 2c. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Michael. You don't always get to pick and choose the exact types of tasks you are required to perform on the job. While your ultimate goal may be an analyst position, you will probably have to work up to that. The MCDST material is all fine and well, but if you can't perform basic hardware and OS related maintenance and troubleshooting tasks, you won't be much use to anyone requiring an overall support tech.

Also, if you give up on a required course of study just because it is "too technical" for you, perhaps you are not well suited for the career you have planned. The "T" in "IT" stands for "technology" and by definition, it's "technical".

Have another look at the A+ material and see if this is *really* what you want to be doing.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Michael and Trip you should stay with the A+ because it'll provide a solid foundation for you when you get a job in desktop support.

What are going to do if a call comes in and the client says my hard drive isn't working, no lights on no nothing but it was working before? if you've studied the A+ the most viable answer is going to be that you have a loose molex connector.

The MCDST isn't going to teach you that as its based on operating systems mainly Windows.

And if you decide in the future to do the MCSA the A+ and N+ count towards and elective for it.

The A+ and N+ will provide a solid foundation for the MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

What they said...

At the very least, you need the knowledge that is required to pass the A+ and N+. If you need to learn to get that knowledge, then why not back it up with the certification to show that you know it?