Guidence for a newbie

Discussion in 'A+' started by BA Baracus, Jul 17, 2006.

1. BA Baracus

BA Baracus New Member

Hi Guys

I am hoping to start a new career within IT, I have experiance of using Microsoft 2000 & XP for both work & home use,word, excel, outlook, use internet, update firewall & system updates on my computer etc.

I have seen internet training course for the CompTIA + and this includes a practice exam for both tests. Would I need practical experiance before carrying out this course and taking subsequent tests?

Your help would be much

Thanks

BA

2. techzero

techzero Bit Poster

It depends on your experience and how well you "think" you know the material. From what you have posted it seems you may know more of the OS exam then the Core exam which is the hadware part of the test.

Even with everday use of Windows OS's ranging from 3.1 all the way to XP there is still much, much more to the exam then just "How would you access the command prompt?". You would find such questions as "What two lines need to be in CONFIG.SYS file to load a portion of DOS into the HMA (high memory area)?"

But then again these questions may not even be on there, half of them might be about printers and scanners!

I would say if you feel confident enough then take the course, if not, an easy solution would be to go to your local book store a couple nights a week and sit down and read an A+ book to get a feel of what is needed....

Hope that helps!

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As a starter alternative to A+ you might want to investigate the ECDL (European Computer Driving License). It all depends on your level of experience so far.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+