Guess who just got a job offer at...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Shinigami, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

My office base will be Geneva, but once a month I'll go to Zurich for meetings it seems.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow. very impressive, congrats 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Like you say mate, the job in itself is reward enough as once you've got MS on your CV the world is your oyster. And there's me thinking I'd worked for big companies ha ha Well done mate, you deserve every success. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate, looks like a top job you have landed there. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Congrats mate - definitely envious and jealous of you over here! :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Congratulations! Well done!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  7. Shinigami

Wow, breezed through my 3 month trial period and they kept me :biggrin

Been working my a$$ off, but boy is it worth it. Best job I've ever had (well... short of maybe the gig when I was a level editor for a few computer game companies... but that felt more like I was playing a game all day long).

But what an incredible experience it has been, and continues to be. Almost finished helping one client with an AD migration, a few others engage me regularly for FIM (Forefront Identity Manager), got a third client with whom I'll begin some Security and OCS (Office Communications Server) based work (should take me all the way into the month of October with that one), several other client assignments have come and gone... sometimes they're long, sometimes short, sometimes they just take the form of a workshop or demo. And then there's all the other little things I've been working in, on and off, such as our internal "University" training and so on :)

But... now that I've been here about 4 months, I need to start hitting my "certification" objectives, i.e. we need to gain at least two certs a year, and what better time to begin, then during my regular yearly certification cycle (which lasts from ~July to ~December) :eek:

Guess you'll start seeing me on this forum again, on a semi-regular occurrence :oops:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds cool, good luck with the job and your further certifications.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Shinigami

Thanks GBL! :biggrin

I got a lot of reading to do on this forum, to find out what everyone's been up to ;)

I feel a little guilty not having been around tho'... ah well. Sometimes job must come first.

10. greenbrucelee

You will have a lot of reading to do :D

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I just got accepted onto a special MS program, not sure how much i can talk about it, but i get an email, ID card and remote access to the corpnet!

I've been doing a big Exchange 2003 - 2010 coexistence/migration the last two weeks for a client in Cincinnati, my first trip back east for years
    they are an awesome bunch, and it's been fun working through all the crazy problems that crop up on this sort of large scale project! :)
    we migrated over 700 mailboxes last night!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. greenbrucelee

Sounds like a big job, good luck with it.

13. Shinigami

Phoenix: very cool man =) Did you get access to any of the E14 (DL) chats and stuff?

All the best of luck to you sir! Rock that Exchange migration :biggrin

14. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like youve done well. If you don't mind saying what was your career path? What sort of roles and how long were you there for etc to get where you are?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  15. Shinigami

I started installing and repairing computers in a mom and pop style shop (about a dozen years ago).

Got hired (through some luck) to an international company, to do similar stuff, but also thanks to some basic skills in Japanese, I was asked to troubleshoot the Japanese Terminal Server and client machines.

From there I did my MCSE (over a period of approximately 1 year), and ended up being hired in a pharmaceutical job as a sysadmin (basically in charge of Exchange and AD). I did NOT have enough experience in these, but lady luck gave me the job and I started gaining experience at a frightening speed at this point.

Then I went to work as a Security Admin in a Bank (once again, I was not necessarily super experienced in Security related matters, but lady luck gave me a break, and once again I learned the tricks of that trade at a rapid pace).

Finally, a boss from the Pharmaceutical company, who went to work in MCS (Microsoft Consulting Services) asked me if I wanted to work for them as well, and after many interviews, I landed my current job.

I stayed on average about 3.5 years in each of my previous jobs.

I admit I had a LOT of luck on my side, but I'm a fast learner, I love working in IT, and I generally make people pleased following the work I do. Even now, our customers are telling my boss that I'm delivering the goods in a very professional and friendly manner, so I guess I'm doing something right :)

But seriously, I got some big breaks and I was super lucky to get two jobs where I worked as an Enterprise Admin in charge of the environments. This really helped me prepare technically, and mentally to the job I got now. Consulting however is not all "technology", one needs to also be proficient in many other areas. The client after all needs to be treated correctly.

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good to see you again mate. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yeah ditto and thanks for sharing how you got where you are today. Its nice to hear

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad you are back on the forum mate, and good luck for the future!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Shinigami

Thank you all :)

Feels good to be back. Crazy times I admit, so much work, but also so rewarding.

Funny things have happened to me since then, for example, I have a friend working at Google in Zurich (Switzerland), and he gave me a tour of their company offices a few months ago :)

(before anybody goes all ballistic on me, please understand that I'm a "fan" of IT in general... I like working for Microsoft, I love their products, but I also harbor no ill feelings against Google, Apple, IBM, HP etc... I think I'd be happy working for all of them, I just happen to work for Microsoft because I know their apps and I can do a good job there)

So anyway, amazing offices they have. I strongly recommend doing a search on *cough* bing.com *cough* (haha) and checking out the photos about their office. Awesome place.

The Microsoft office on the Redmond campus is awesome as well =) Loved that place!

But it's cool to see how the "IT" companies really have the BEST offices and job environments out there! (just my opinion, but based on what I read on the net, it seems to be true for other IT companies as well). God I love working in IT :D