Grr wish I never wasted that money

Discussion in 'A+' started by Ellis, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

I wasted £580 on self study (I cant say the company) for A+ when I could have saved it and just use what im using now, thats the mike myers all in one book and other resources. Tbh the two manuals from them arnt that much good anyway compared to mike myers as I dont use them. I just wish I never wasted that money, I was basically drawn into it and they are very happy to take your money.:(

Lesson learned the hard way. if your new and want a career in IT and want to study A+ dont go down that route I went down and self study on your own with all the resources on the net, get the mike myers all in one and then just pay for the exams.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    Certifications: A+, 726 NVQ 2 Computers and Electronics.
    WIP: N+ Then Onto MCDST
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Sounds like micro2000, a course I paid for several years back for A+. Utterly useless.

Take solace in the fact that you only paid £580 for a course you discovered to be useless. Many others have paid 10 times that amount and ended up with the same realisation.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

Very true, I could have paid a LOT more if I chose the "study at centre" route :eek:, what they fail to mention is the fact you can pay for the exams yourself, they go on about setting up the exams and well take care of everything, you get blinded my it. They really do take advantage especially in a recession and with a lot of desperate and unacknowledged people.

Certifications: A+, 726 NVQ 2 Computers and Electronics.
    WIP: N+ Then Onto MCDST
  4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Agreed. I was almost sucked into a scheme/"training course" costing roughly 10x what you paid.
    Then I stumbled on this forum, asked if it was a good idea, and was hit with a chorus of "STOP!"

Before here, I didn't know you could just book yourself exams. Didn't know that self-study was a viable option. Now I think, it's not just viable - it's optimal. Personally I get bored of classrooms. Self-study allows me to study in a way built around my own strengths and weaknesses.

It's saved me a couple of quid too...

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

If I got £1 for everyone who got screwed with courses like this I would be able to retire by now. Take it up with Citizens Advice and see if you can do something about it if the course material is that poor.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011