Group Policy in Longhorn

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, May 7, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

thats screwy mate..

Vista is your physical machine (compA)
    your server (compB) is on your physical machine (compA)

when compA joins the compB domain, all is good.
    but when compA is shutdown, and restarted, it will be looking to connect to the domain which is held on compB, and would not find it... you will only be able to log in locally...

you have plenty of RAM mate, create a virtual client aswell, its gonna save confusion, unless, you have a spare physical machine, which you could make into a AD/DC if you like...

edit: its like eating your own mouth, you eat with your mouth, so how can you eat your mouth if you use your mouth to eat

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I know wot you mean my friend...and its ok if I log in locally cos i then start the server up again...its just trial and error my friend...hehe as I said its my very first attempt at creating a server with domain, DNS and AD...

But yes I shall create a virtual client on VPC and see how that goes...thank you :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok i cant connect to the domain...aaarrggghhh

it comes back saying An Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain waliu.com (hehe) could not be contacted

Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly

which it is...so where am I going wrong here?

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

May be a DNS issue mate, you should make your internal domain .local , .office or .internal just to keep things simple. On your physical PC the DNS should be pointing at the IP of your virtual server.

It sounds like the DNS on the client PC is pointing at 'real world' DNS servers that have no record of waliu.com hence why you cant connect to the domain.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Mr.Cheeks

are the details correct (username / password) try joining to waliu rather than waliu.com

also its good to have your domain as waliu.local than .com to save confusion, as .com may be pointing out to the net.

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok I see you are coming from with this...and its possible this is the issue. So how do I get it to point the IP of the server?

I did this and it brought up the username and password box and after I entered the details it went back to what Sparky was saying regarding DNS...so looks like thats the issue...

Again thank you for the help guys :biggrin

7. Sparky

On your PC go into the properties of the NIC and change the DNS server to be the IP of the server.

Before you do this goto a command line and type ipconfig /all this will tell you where the PC is looking for DNS just now. If its an IP you have never heard of its probably your ISPs DNS servers. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Fantastic...thank you kindly sir :biggrin

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok I have redone the server...created a new domain called mydomain.local. My Vista machine is now connected to the domain so its running off the server as we speak...

regarding the dyndns website, I have registered but I am stumped as to what exactly I need to do...any ideas?

Also I installed Exchange server 2003 (for some reason it wont take 2007) but I dont know where to start putting in email addresses...altho it says I didnt have other features installed such as IIS? (I believe thats what it meant).

Does anyone have any idea what else I need in order to get exhcange workingon this server?

Thanks all :biggrin

10. Mr.Cheeks

so now've you registered...

Select Services > Dynamic DNS > On the right > select Create Host >

Choose an appropiate name *you'll notice a dropdown menu* here you select the end part of your domain

Once selected, click on Add Host

you then should recieve a confirmation that your hostname has been created.

Part Two

Use this client, if you find that your ip is always changing. when your ip changes, your domain does not follow, if your domain is linked to 82.34.15.156 and your ip has changed to 82.34.11.546 then, this is no good. you will have to log into the site, and update the database, however, if you download this client [here], this automatically updates their database to show any ip changes...

As for the exchange problems, i think you should concetrate on 1 item at a time...

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

All done Mr Cheeks...again thank you for your valuable help...now im installing some more features to really get things going...so we'll see how it all pans out :biggrin

One more thing...portforwading...how do I portfoward my external IP so that I can RDP to my server from elsewhere? I had someone try and access it but they couldnt. Im missing something again arent I?

12. Mr.Cheeks

you dont portforward your "external ip" as its always external. you allow connection for the ports for the software itself... like if i was to run a ftp site from my pc, i would need to forward port 21...

its all done within your firewall hard/software... just open the port specifc to the one for your software.

e.g. if remote connection software uses port 1234 to connect, then thats the port you will need to open, normally, i thinks its UDP. you have to open this port on all of your firewall'ing' software on your system, both hardware and software.

once this has been opened up, then when you try to connect from a remote pc, you will type in your domainname for the ip address.

one thing you have to note - when you do this, your network is open for penetration! ensure that you have a strong password and also change the port to something not default, if your software allows this...

sometimes, isp's tend to block certain ports, but if you like a more detailed information on this then, Zeb's your man...

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Right perfect...thank you...:biggrin

14. Sparky

In regard to the Exchange problem when you create a new account there will be an email address created by default, it will be [email protected]l. If you need to change this you should chaneg the default recipient policy in Exchange server.

You can configure things like [email protected]l and stuff like that. Here is a link that should help...

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/exchange2003/exchange2003_recipient_policy.htm

Cheeks gives some good advice in regard to opening up ports on your firewall. Remember you will be sending the username and password over the internet in plain text for remote desktop (I think) If possible why not use RRAS (if its included in Longhorn) so you can set up a basic VPN. 8)

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

The thing is tho I cant get Exchange 2003 installed and 2007 is not yet compatible...so will have to leave the email side of things alone for now...at least until 2007 becomes compatible in SP1...even tho I have installed SMTP server on the domain (btw Longhorn doesnt have a seperate Mail server only this SMTP thing but if u ask me it doesnt do much unless it needs Exchange)

With regards to RRAS I think Longhorn does have this so will look into creating a VPN...its all good fun I tell you...I am enjoying it loads :biggrin

16. Sparky

Cool, you might want to install Server 2003 on another virtual server, add it the domain, and then install Exchange 2007 on it to see what its like. 8)