Greetings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by john1328, Mar 22, 2011.

1. john1328

john1328 New Member

Hello all i am currently studying Cisco CCNA. I am from the UK and currently drive buses for a living and am fed up of being in a job that has no future.

10 years ago i used to repair, maintain and upgrade pc's for a living but gave it up, since then i have had numerous jobs then wound up driving buses and have been doing so now for 6 years.

I have never really been away from pc's as i have always repaired and built pcs and laptops as a sideline, working with computers has always been my number 1 choice of job but trying to get re-employed has proven very difficult without the paperwork even given my experience.

I have done web design but thought better of it then discovered home learning Cisco CCNA with a company called CBT Nuggets. Networking has always been a grey area for me as this is 1 area of computing that i have NEVER had any knowledge on, yet an area i have always wanted to persue.

I have a friend who has MCSA and MCSE but i really wanted to take cisco so i did, using cbt nuggets. I have started by working on my CCENT and am making good progress and am really enjoying it 2.

As many of you have probably also had to do i am juggling this course with a full time job and a family which is hard but i'm sure this is what i want to be doing so am remaining dedicated to do this and have done about 30 hours so far and i seem to be grasping it pretty well. However i would like to ask advice of people who are already doing this kind of stuff.

1. Which exam route to take?

2. Advantages of Cisco to the Microsoft route (although i have already settled on Cisco, would be interested to know).

3. Should i also be looking at doing Comptia A+ or Network+ or both?

4. And i want a home lab to setup and train with, i am itching to get my hands on my own Cisco equipment but not sure what to buy. Seen this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cisco-CCNA-LAB-STARTER-KIT-2-X-2611XM-2950-24-2520-/360350533420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53e690c72c on ebay, any good chaps? If not can you recommend another kit to me as i am seriously looking at buying one soon as.

Any other advice/tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks chaps

John

WIP: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

NOw unfortuantely the CCNA is advanced cert and wont help you get a networking job if you have no experience of networking in a job in the first place. Neither will the MCSA or MCSE.

To get into networking you have to progress there. It is not very often that someone walks into a networking role and thats because no network manager is going to hire someone with no experience to look after their network.

The general starting certs are A+,Network+ and MCDST but the MCDST is being retired shortly so you could do the Windows 7 MCTS and MCITP exams.

Some people start in first line support, some people start as field service techs some get jobs as techs but not many get networking jobs if any.

You may find that after you get your CCNA that you will have to hide the fact that you have it on your CV because having it over qualifies you for entry level work but your experience level makes you non hireable for advanced work.

Cisco only relates to cisco equipment whereas Microsoft will obviousley cover windows but some subjects go into other areas that windows may have installed on it or windows is connecting to something with.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The CCNA is designed for people who are already in IT and doing (or about to be doing) network administration. And network administration isn't something you start out doing... it is something you work up to.

You should start out by taking entry-level exams, such as the A+, Network+, and MCDST (or MCTS) exams.

There aren't two different "routes". Certification isn't designed to show an employer what fields you want to be working in... it is designed to validate experience that you already have.

Both (instead of Cisco).

Take things one step at a time. As it stands, you're asking whether you should be a brain surgeon or a heart surgeon before you've taken Biology 101.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Welcome :D

I would not purchase it, it is allot of money for your CCNA, keep checking and buy it in bits you will save allot, 2950's are good to have. Too be honest though I would just use *unmentionable* until you are sure what you want to do. When I first got my lab it sat in a cupboard for ages as I was using *unmentionable* and Cisco packet tracer ( http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/course_catalog/PacketTracer.html )

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
    Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. TheITCrowd

Fine, But I 1st discovered the unmentionable on Cisco's learning portal :blink

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

If you can find the link then please post it. If I am wrong with this then lets see from Cisco, but I think not.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. TheITCrowd

You are correct in what you are saying. They talk about using it and how good it is, But I did a search on the discussions bit for it and found they were all saying the same thing as on here... Basically it is breaking the terms of Cisco agreement, etc ......

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/115006#115006

What gets me though is that all the guys discussing its legality and usage must be logged in with there Cisco I.D's.

Anyways, Until safe to mention, My lips are sealed :croc

9. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF family.

Certifications: CCNA