Greetings from Oz

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bpaine, Jan 1, 2010.

1. bpaine

bpaine New Member

Hi people. I'm an Australian living in Melbourne. I've been in IT for 30 years as an application developer on mainframes. In February 2009 I signed up for a crash course to get my MCSA (which I achieved in September 2009). I'm now working as an entry-level network administrator. However, I need to decide where to go next in terms of study and certifications. I believe the next logical step is to transition to MCITP (which is my goal for 2010). But then what? It's a question of where the market is going. I don't want to embark on study that takes me "east" if the market is going "west". So what do you guys in the UK think? After getting my MCITP should I then immerse myself in Exchange 2010 or SQL or what? Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers. Bill.

Certifications: MCSA (Windows Server 2003 and Messaging)
    WIP: MCITP
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi Bill,

Welcome to Cert Forums!

You mention that you are an Entry Level Network Administrator, what does this involve? Server work, configuration of routers and switches etc.

If you could expand a bit more on this, we can then advise what we feel your next step should be.

Craig

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I agree, I mean there's no point in us advising you to do say the CCNP if you don't work with CISCO kit, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day mate and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)