Greetings from another newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MartW80888, Jan 15, 2007.

1. MartW80888

MartW80888 New Member

Guess it's my turn to introduce myself

I got my first IT job in August 98, a Modern Apprenticeship straight after my A-Levels
    I was asked to leave less than 2 years later, a long tale of woe involving a total lack of interest on the company's part in the fact that I was seriously struggling on the 2nd year of the day-release HNC I was doing and a subsequent lack of effort on my part regarding said HNC. This experience left me unemployed, completely disillusioned with the entire IT industry and a borderline technophobe (that company went bust a year later, much to my amusement)

It took over 3 years before I even touched a PC after that, but after a succession of crappy warehouse jobs and one aborted attempt at learning to be a driving instructor (another long story) I'm currently in The World's Most Boring Job and I've decided I need to leave while I still have some sanity left. Having built myself a new PC just over a year ago, created a small network in my parents' house and spent countless hours reading magazines to try and get my head around some of the technologies that have appeared in the last few years I think I've got the bug again.

I've just ordered the latest edition of the Meyers A+ book (as recommended by you lot) from Amazon US (about USD$48 including shipping to the UK if anyone's interested), to get me going on the A+ with a view to doing Network+ after that and maybe onwards towards an MCSA

I think that's a long enough introductory post, I shall now go back to lurking quietly to absorb some more of the very useful information available on this forum.

Time for a quick ciggie and off to bed now though, the grind starts again at 8am tomorrow...

WIP: A+ (or will be soon)
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum mate and good luck with your second attempt at getting into IT :biggrin

Nice introductory post BTW :thumbleft

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

welcome to cf sounds like you've bin round the block a few times! well alot of people including me are studying A+ too so if you need any help just give us a shout and wel be more then willing to help.

WIP: A+,mcp.mcdst,mcsa
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Welcome to CF ^^

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, mate. Welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Good luck in your studies. By the way, how much did the shipping cost you?

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Hi and welcome!

Hopefully this attempt will be more successful!!

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  10. MartW80888

MartW80888 New Member

Many thanks for the kind words of encouragement, shame not all forums are as friendly as this one

btw, the A+ book cost me $39.59 with $8.98 for shipping to the UK. That's "Super Saver Delivery" though and I'm told not to expect it to arrive until between Jan 31st and Feb 14th(!)

Pretty good value though, I thought

WIP: A+ (or will be soon)