Greetings For Manchester UK - Impartial Advice needed ASAP!!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by TheBro72, May 21, 2010.

1. TheBro72

TheBro72 New Member

hahahaha well spotted bluerinse !

2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

The best A+ books are Mike Myers and the Sybex one which I used. For Network+ I used the Sybex book. I personally find Sybex books easier to read but Mike Myers is meant to be highly recommended. When i buy books I tend to look at reviews from people on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com (as people tend to leave more feedback on books on the US site). I did sit these exams about 6 years ago but imagine people would still recommend these books.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ab-so-lutely! I was in a similar situation to you... I had worked in a telecom/telemessaging environment for 6 years and had messed around with a variety of computers (mostly Commodore and PC) for about 18 years before getting my first IT job as a field service tech. That work experience and knowledge absolutely helped me get the job.

Again, I commend you on your positive, determined mindset. If an employer doesn't take a chance on hiring you, they are all fools. :)

Although you can take a college course for IT, you really don't need one. Just get some books and a spare computer and study. If you want to find out if you're ready for the "real thing", buy a practice exam to check yourself - and although I personally believe they are useful, they're not required either.

For the A+, I would recommend the A+ All-in-One 7th Edition by Mike Meyers. If you need a good lab book, I'd recommend PC Technician Street Smarts 2nd Edition by our very own James Pyles (tripwire45).

For the Network+, I would recommend the Network+ All-in-One (whichever is the latest edition), also by Meyers.

I look forward to future posts from you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. steffparry

steffparry Bit Poster

Mate, I'm absolutely overjoyed that my recent experiences have helped you on your own journey. It really seems like you've taken my points onboard (which was the reason for me sharing them) and as BM has said, you seem very well adjusted and sound. Those things count for a lot!

It worked for me and I see absolutely no reason why it wouldn't for you.

Feel free to drop me a line anytime if I can be of any further help.

All the best mate and keep it up!

Steff.

Certifications: A+, BA (hons)
    WIP: Network+