Greetings Fellow Techies!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by noelg24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I am glad I found this place. This is what I am tlaking about. Anyway here's a bit about me.

My name is Waliu, I am 24yrs old. I am currently reading A+ Complete by David Groth(I think!! :roll: ) and although I have nearly 8yrs of self taught PC experience with me I have decided its time to get a certification of some sort. I strated reading an MCSE book till I realised hold on this is not my expertise as yet so someone recommended A+ and Net+ and I have not looked back since. From the age of 18-19 I have built a total of 5 PCs 3 of which were mine and the other two for my girlfriends mum and her friend who works for her dad. the 3rd I am using is probably my best yet. It has AMD 2500+ XP CPU(overclocked to 3200+) and with 5 LED fans in the system and the CPU heatsink and fan the temp in the CPU and system are both going at about 35-40 degrees Celsius!!! the mobo is by MSI and its the MSI K7N2 Delta. anyway I wont go into itt further but if you would all like to know what else it has (not much really) just ask. te previous 2 PCs were good however the 1st I built got spiked :eek: as I did not know the mobo I was using was not compatible with the CPU and memory and the second one which I had fr about 1.5yrs got stolen from my flat and how gutted I was. But I have this one now and I am very pleased. She needs upgrading pretty soon and hopefully once muggins here has passed the exam and has the certificate and gets the right job he will buy DVD RW and bigger montor and bigger HDD.

I said I was going to talk about me and not my PCs damn things always stealing the limelight!! Anyway people I hope to get some ideas and tips from you guys soon and I am sure we will have many things to discuss. Look forward to it.

Bye for now!!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome to Certforums, Waliu. Glad you found the place. Yes, the A+ and Network+ certs are a very good place to start. For the Microsoft certs, you will definately need some experience with MS operating systems so if you don't work in a production environment where you have access to such, you may want to consider a small home lab where you can run the OSes on whatever cert path (Windows 2000 or Windows XP/2003) you are interested in.

Also, consider your goals. Many techs have progressed into the MS certs and they are very popular, but if all the jobs in your area say involved Linux, that would be an alternate direction (and of course, you can do both or all). It helps to have a plan for your certifications/training/education.

Sounds like we'll be learning a lot about hardware from you, given your experience. Glad you found the place. Make yourself at home.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks Trip.

I havent really figured out which path to take yet. I just love to build and repair PCs. Its like my nunu as my girlfriend would put it :roll: but what I do want to do is have my own PC shop and be able to help out people in their homes with PC problems or if they want a PC built for them. I am currently working in a call centre (BT) where customers are reporting faulty telephone lines ( :eek: ) I was working for BT Broadband in the technical helpdesk and that really was the best job I ever had. but now I am living in Aberdeen with my girlfriend (her job brought us up here) and I am still looking for that decent job but with the A+ book I have I should get there soon. I wouldnt really ask me much about hardware (well ok you can) as I do know a fair bit here and there and I dont mind giving advice as long as I know i am right if I am wrong there is always room for correction.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Everybody's fair game here. Anyone who can lend a hand with a problem is expected to pitch in. We all try to help each other. Chances are, if you want the job you describe, you'll be doing more than just hardware installs and troubleshooting. Virus and Spyware infestations rank high on the list of home visit calls. I know because I've had to do them. Beware of homes with teenagers. They'll download anything on to Mom and Dad's PC and completely hose it.

Get to know a lot about malware, application errors, OS and other software installs and upgrades. That's what people call a tech to their home for.

As far as choice jobs in your area...I can't help you there. Fear not. There are plenty of Scots on the board (they threaten to "take over" periodically) who know the job situation in your area far more than a "yank" like me would. :wink: :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Waliu, welcome to the forums and I agree with what Trip said.

@Jak, your customer mate, another one of your lot[​IMG]

BTW Ice cold VB *toss*

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I do actually know alot about spyware and all that as I dealt with this when I was working with BT Broadband. and I especially know about homes with teenagers as I always advise parents of what their kids are downloading :) . I think the best part is when the kids know exactly what they're doing and the parents seem totally oblivious to it all until one day they go to use the PC and then BANG!!! :eek: what the blazes was that? :lol: but trust me Trip I know about those teenagers...I use to be one :twisted: . but fear not time has changed and things seem clearer now. am very good at advising people what software to use on their system especially protection for the internet like Zone Alarm (you cant beat this baby 8) ) and also I tend to download other software to try out for myself and once I know which is best to use I recommend them to people so its always best to give it a go urself thats hwat I always say. I am actually going to start up a website for PC building and repairing in my area with the help of my beautiful assistant (my PC not my girlfriend :twisted: ) she's gonna kill me if she reads this :? . so hopefully that will be my starting block. I use to build a few sites when I was younger but went off them to concentrate on building but now I am confident with hardware its time to start showing people what I can really do! So here's to me. :thumbleft and all of us.

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thanks Nugg...you and ur VBs eh.
    *catch* 8)
    and whats the message to Jack meant to mean? :?

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums noelg24, pull up your keyboard, take a seat and make yourself at home.

Take a good look around and if your not sure about anything just ask. Speak soon. Si :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi there and Welcome.

if you hand about a bit longer I'm sure you will "meet" the Armodillo with attitude :D (only kidding)

Anyway It's good to have you on the boards.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Im sure I will AJ..in fact I am looking 4ward2it. :lol:

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ahh another hardware enthusiast, nice to meetcha, hope you enjoy your stay at certforums :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

WHAAASSSSUP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Tis indeed moi :P Big CF welcome Waliu - seems like you've fitted in already, my friend

Disregard all that those reprobates have alluded to above about me - I am but a dear, sweet-natured shelled creature in search of the happiness of those around me :idea:

Oh, and one other thing .......

VB

Need, Nugg

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ice cold VB *toss*

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I know I am going to really like it here...probably the best place I have been settled since moving in with my girlfriend :lol: if she reads this muggins here is in for the chop...so pray for me guys! Thank you all for the welcome.

Oh one more thing

A VB FOR EVERYONE *toss*
    enjoy....

15. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Hello and welcome noelg24!

I see that the guys have given you a good welcome - however they forgot to tell you about chat - thursday night from 7.00pm - starts slow but will be in full swing by 8.30pm if you can handle it! :newbie

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

*late catch* Da Man 8)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity