Greetings, and a question.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Tola, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Tola

Tola New Member

Hello.

My name is Tola.
    20 years old, out of work(Never IN work-don't ask...), and found this place whilst looking for info on something else. That something else is the basis of my question.

I'm looking for people who have heard anything on a training provider called Skillstrain.

They have a website: www.skillstrain.co.uk.

But the website has very little information on them.

The reason I ask is becasue today I got visted by them. I found them via an e-mail to my mother, and asked them to come and see us.(It was supposed to be a few days ago, but their fax mucked up, and he went to the WRONG HOUSE. Real inspiring....)

Anyway,he's offering various things that could be interesting-qualifications in A+, N+, and COMPTIA.

The price is £15 a week, or £65 a month, if I accept. For this, I get the training, they supply everything needed.

They haven't stated how long it would take on the website, and stupidly, I never asked.

They're in association with something called 'Schidegger' or something, if that helps.

Can anyone help? It COULD be an opportunity to really get somewhere, but....

2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Hi Tola, welcome to CF :)
    I haven't heard of skillstrain, but Schidegger is quite a big national IT training provider, do a google search to find out more and look through the pages here at certforums to get a better idea of who they are and what they offer. The Comptia A+ is a good qualification to start out on. Some people would say it is not worth spending money with a training provider to do this qualification, but you do get support and additional help with your studies by enrolling with a training provider that may prove to be very helpful. The other way is to self study for the A+. There are a number of good books you can read, the Mike Meyers book is a good one to start with. Here is the CompTIA website with more information on the A+. You can always post any questions here at certforums, there are some very knowledgeable folk here that will do their best to help.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Tola and welcome to the forum. Training providers can vary a great deal in price, training material, onsite courses, tutor support the list goes on. Then you could always try self study to start. You set your own timescale, cheapest option and there is loads of help available here and other places.

Have a look at the training and dev forum for more advice.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Tola. Welcome to CF. Can't help you with your question but I'm glad you made it here. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you're out of work at the moment why not pick up a book or 2 and an old pc to pull apart and do some self study at home. With the time you currently have you could get through the A+ in a month or so, much quicker than with a training provider.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome.
    Never heard of them.
    To be honest, if they've cocked up the initial meeting then I would dump them. You've got to give your money to someone you can trust.
    I would also be wary of someone who charges by the week/month. There are loads of ways of stalling. If you pay by the week and they don't return your calls or can't get you an exam date before the end of the month, who's losing out?
    Go with someone that you pay to provide you with a result, like a certification. That way if the exams change etc, you've paid to get that certification no matter how long it takes...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Hello World

Hello World Nibble Poster

Welcome to the forums Tola.

Im in a similar position really, all i would say is seriously consider college over training providers, it works out cheaper and A+ is usually a PT course (or an intensive 2 weeks or so). Still its not bad to have.

WIP: CCNA 1, IT Essentials 1(A+)
  10. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Welcome Tola. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  11. Tola

Tola New Member

Hmmm....

We have multiple PCs at home, but....they're either in use, or have data that we can't really get OFF.

My one, for instance is an old 486.

Mama's(the one I'm using to reply here) is a Pentium model.

The one Mama used before that is also a 486, but there's stuff on it even now. We're not sure on how to get the stuff we want to keep off it(Or indeed, off my own one, so I can't use that...) so it's in limbo.

I've have to somehow find someone willing to give up an old PC or buy one specifically.

Hmmm...

12. Hello World

Hello World Nibble Poster

Omg... i just got a flashback of the Waterboy =p

WIP: CCNA 1, IT Essentials 1(A+)
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hello and welcome aboard Tola...:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life