Greetings all =)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Studious Sal, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Studious Sal

Studious Sal New Member

Hey all,

Well a little about me - I'm currently temping in admin (London) after graduating last year with a useless degree. I've been doing some research into becoming an IT technician/network person of some sort. I've been viewing this forum for a couple of days now - i found it by trying to find reviews for a particular course i wanted to take.

However the reviews have lead me to believe that i should maybe try different options. I was initially thinking either taking on a 'Joskos' or 'JustIt' course however my mind has been swayed by the wealth of information on this forum - which is a good thing.

I'm not entirely sure what route i should be taking and what certs/experience i may need. So i maybe asking a few questions in the relavant sections when i exhaust the search function ofcourse!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

If your looking to get into IT then the certs to start off with are compTIA A+, compTIA N+ and MIcrosofts MCDST.

You can do all certs by self study and you will save yourself a hell of a lot of cash. Most of these places like Joskos will charge you loads of money then give you some books and then tell you to read them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hello and Welcome to CF, good luck with the studies :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I agree, when it comes to the higher professional IT certs wait until you have the experience.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Studious Sal

Studious Sal New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I've been looking at the self study guide in the training and development section. I know the basics of XP and can build/repair PC's if need be. But obviously i guess its quite different when dealing with a client or customer or what have you...Could i possibly take on the MCDST without any other prior certs? or is that like running before walking?

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes, that is a bad idea.. before you embark on IT as a career make sure you have a really solid understanding of the fundamentals. Also, the CompTIA stuff is vendor neutral and will cover a variety of topics across different platforms. Something you will find very useful in the real world.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice already provided above. Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings & Welcome to CF:sunny

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+