Great this is all I need!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Dec 26, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the thing is tho...this PSU wasnt cheap...it cost me £70 or was it reduced to £60? well something along those lines anyway...so by no means was it cheap...but fear not...its likely I may get a more powerful one...since ebuyer no longer stock this model (Hiper Type-R 580W blue) and Hiper themself dont make it anymore...so we'll see what ebuyer can offer me...clearly one doesnt want a lesser known PSU...:biggrin but thank you all so much for your input and it has been duly noted :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Never heard of Hiper... I generally buy Antec, Enermax, or Seasonic. There are certainly other good brands out there, but I'm not aware of them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I got this brand from ebuyer as it had some good reviews:

Spec: Arctic Power 600W PSU

You might want to beware though as it does not have many SATA cables slot just one I believe. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ah that wont help me at all...I am using a SATA HDD and DVD-RW in the gaming machine...and it has to be modular...cos I dont want unused cables cluttering the inside like my main machine...but lets see what happens..

BM, I know of the brands ur talking about and I have been looking into them...so if ebuyer cant do a direct swap with the one I have now...maybe I can swap for one of those and see what happens :biggrin

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm currently using a modular Enermax Liberty 500W - I think they come bigger than that if you need the extra power.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If you are really deseperate for a short term fix, one of these will do just fine, just keep it topped up with food:

[​IMG]

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I thought I had a crap PSU its a winpower pro, you can only find them in one place on the net after I did an extensive search it is coming in at 32.99. Its 700wats and since I wiped my pc and reinstalled stuff I have never had a problem.

That said I may get a better one because cheap is not always better

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Come on now that's not exactly cheap as when compared to my previous psu I got at £12.50 and it was not brand from ebuyer. However, it barely lasted six months:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Gotta agree with BM mate. You have been lucky that your PSU hasnt damaged the mobo. Im currently running seasonic's (this is the latest one im running)http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-007-SS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=589 in all my systems without any problems in years. They are definately worth the extra money in the long run. You could even go for an enermax http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-029-EN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=111 if you dont mind taking out a re-mortgage to pay for it! :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You know I haven't mentioned this before, but my very first system that I built back in 2004, I built it with a no name 500W psu and after about 6 months of use, it fried my motherboard. At the time I didn't really know much about pc so I just thought that it was my motherboard at fault but as it turns out testing my psu on another pc it didn't not start and testing my motherboard on another pc definitely did not start. It's then when I realized that probably the cheap psu short circuited my motherboard. In fact my friend had the same issue with the same psu.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Tell me where I can get one these PSUs and im there my friend :biggrin

Thanks again guys...your input is very much appreciated...I just need to wait and see what ebuyer say first in terms of what they can replace it with...i think I will want a 600W or 700W to be honest...something tells me the 580W just couldnt cut it...shame really...I loved that PSU...but in the end, its more about the performance than looks...right? I mean I am all for the blue and that (such a gorgeous colour inside a PC), but I guess thats where I went wrong in the first place...going for looks instead of reliability (can the same be said about women? :twisted: )

But I will have a look at other PSUs and see if I can wrangle something with ebuyer...knowing them they may just get my one back in stock and replace it with the same one...better do some research lol...

12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It's a prototype, not fully available yet, but I could get you the second prototype :D

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I shall PM u my address...when will I expect it?

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

2050 :D

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Perfect...so long as its not being delivered by Citylink...otherwise I will be waiting another 50yrs...

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok latest from Ebuyer peeps...

They have found a fault with the PSU (tell me something I dont know :dry)...however the PSU in question is longer available for sale plus Hiper themself no longer make it...so I have a few options:

1. I can wait for them to find out if they will get anymore of these PSUs in stock (which I will know by 2mro hopefully)

2. I can choose a PSU within the price range (I have a credit of £60)

3. I can get a refund

However there is no secret option number 4 which would have been add more money to get another PSU reason being I paid via Google checkout.

I was wondering if u guys might be able to help out here...do I get the refund and wait til I get paid from work (end of the month) to get the PSU I desire? or do I choose another PSU within the price range thats not modular but at least its a higher wattage? or wait to see if they can get the hiper one back in?

Ur help is much appreciated. :biggrin

17. Raffaz

I would personally wait till you get paid and put the extra cash towards a decent one like seasonic or enermax etc.

18. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Cheers Raffaz...I was looking at those two particular makes...I will see which one takes my fancy and we'll go from there...but if Ebuyer can get the Hiper back in...I may be tempted again :biggrin but we'll see...

EDIT:

Just had a look on Overclockers and found this. If I cant (or probably wont) get the Hiper one thats the one I would like...it seems perfect, modular, 600W, has a heatpipe cooling system and comes with blue LEDs sweet eh? :biggrin

19. Raffaz

Never had any dealings with Zalman PSUs so i cant comment on them. At the end of the day there famous for their coolers not PSUs. :) Id rather pay a little extra and get a reputable brand that has got consistant reviews over and over again. I cant believe your still tempted by the hiper again when one has failed on you already lol :)

20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the reason i am still tempted is cos my main machine has a Hiper PSU in it and its been running for over a year without any issues at all...its a Type-M 580W and is powering more stuff than the gaming machine...so im surprised that one is doing well after 13-14mths whereas the other died on me after 2mths...sometimes in life eletronics are not made to last forever...we have to sometimes accept that things wont always work the way they are meant to :biggrin plus the blue Hiper looked so hot in my gaming machine hehe...