Great this is all I need!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Dec 26, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So I finished playing a game on my gaming machine and about 5min later I was mucking about on my laptop when my desktop machines turned off for no reason...

Turned out the sockets tripped in the electricity. So I went to the box and put it back on...but it wouldnt stay on...so I tried again and again and it finally came back on.

For a while I didnt think anything as to why it tripped until recently...I went to turn on my gaming machine to play a game...and it wouldnt power on...at all...the PSU was showing a light so I knew that was fine...I have tried a different power cable and its not that at all...then I noticed the motherboard normally has a little green light on but this time it didnt...so I thought hang on...maybe thats what caused the power to trip in the first place! but how and why? no idea!!

So its looks like a new motherboard is to be acquired...good job it wasnt bought online...I wonder if the shop where I bought it from can do me a deal :twisted: anyone else ever had this problem?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Nothing really to do with the problem at hand.

What game had you just finished playing?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Bad luck.

Do you use surge protectors etc?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you have a surge protector on your games PC mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Are you sure you just didn't lose the 5v or 3v rails into the motherboard from the PSU? That could happen, still leave the 12v rails working, and your computer still wouldn't boot.

From having a direct short tripping out the circuit breaker I'd suspect PSU before I would motherboard. It's possible for one to take out the other no matter which failed first, but PSU would be my first suspect.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Sorry I dont understand what u mean by this...and as for everyone else yes I do have a surge protector on it...and the game I finished playing was Juiced 2...doubt that would have anything to do with it...:biggrin

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Basically try another PSU before deciding the motherboard is knackered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_rail

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thats what I was thinking of doing...but the only other PSU I have is in my main machine and that thing is so cluttered with cables all over I cant be bothered lol...however I think I will buy a tester tomorrow from Maplins...at least that way I will know for sure, right?

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That happened to me before when I was building a new system and it was the psu at fault.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

so from what everyone has said...its possible its the PSU? this is not what I want to hear :( lol...damn...I bought the damn thing off ebuyer...such a lovely PSU...its all blue and shiny...ok...what I will do is buy a PSU tester tomorrow...test the PSU...if it is indeed buggered then a new one is on the cards...but this time...Im going up-market...yes im going to get a higher PSU...possibly 600W or 700W as this one is a 580W...wait maybe thats it...maybe the 580W couldnt do it...but then if it has a peak load of 630W that should theoretically be ok...right? My motherboard is an ASUS M2R32-MVP...ok im gonna do a quick check on this...

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I bit the bullet and went ahead and tested with the other PSU...I turned on the power on the PSU (not the PC) and the green light came on the motherboard...so it has been verified and tested people...the PSU is dead...bugger!! lol...

luckily I just remember I bought this on ebuyer...and they have their usual returns thingy...and since I only bought this in Oct I believe I will sort out the whole thing...so looks like no games for the time being...this is why I am glad I built the gaming machine...cos if I had one PC and the PSU went off...I wouldnt be happy at all...

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Oh well at least you get to go and get a more powerful one. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes ur right I hope so...just cos been looking on the ebuyer site and my PSU is currently out of stock...does this mean they might charge me extra for new and better one? or not? cos to be honest I wouldnt mind having the same one back...otherwise they better make sure the new one provides as much blue LED as the other one did...:biggrin

14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That really depends Noelg, how their customer support is. I've exchanged stuff in the past for better products without paying the difference because they could not exchange my current defective product because it was out of stock. Other places don't really care, especially if the company is small. Good luck on that Noelg.

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well its something to go by...thank you kind sir...I am sure they will probs turn round and say I wont need to pay the difference so here's hoping...I have just submitted the form for returns...so lets see how it goes...seeing at is the holiday period...lol...:biggrin good job i have my other PC for watching DVDs

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I guess so, it is the holiday like you said. At least you wont get bored, the other pc is still running.:biggrin

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

indeed...and my trusty little laptop too :biggrin

18. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Power supplies produce a range of voltages. They have 12, 5, and 3 volt output circuits. Each of the different voltage circuits have different positive and negative wires to complete those individual circuits, and have separate windings inside the power supply itself. That means both the 5v and 3v circuits could fail and the 12v circuit still be working, or any other combination you could think of. As the 5v and 3v normally power the motherboard's circuits if they die the motherboard will not have power, but you'll have power to fans, hard drives, optical drives, etc....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A good PSU is (usually) cheaper than a good mobo... so count yourself blessed! :D

What brand of PSU? Don't skimp... a bad PSU can damage all sorts of other gear in your box. Not that yours did... just warning you of what COULD happen. Personally, I'd not get the same brand again, if I had one fail on me... shiny blueness or not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

This is very true as I bought a cheap power supply for my main computer and after six months it went after a power surge. I didn't realize this at first as the PC would not power on after 10 to 15mins and then it would after these time. On one occasion it finally did not power on whatsoever, then I bought a more expensive power supply unit at 600watts from ebuyer and it has been running as smooth as smooth can be.

Moral of the story, don't skimp or buy a cheap PSU:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell