Grateful for some experienced advice!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dauid, Aug 7, 2011.

1. dauid

dauid New Member

Hello!

Without going into my background much, i left school with 2 GCSE'S - A-C being History and Maths.

Now my current situation is, im 25 with some debt so college/Uni really is not an option at this moment in time.

Regarding GCSE's i could pick up 3 in September not doing too much damage to my pocket being cheap/FREE(English Language, Physics,>something easy<) evening classes.

During this i could attain A+ N+ S+ linux+ (MCDST equivalent) providing all goes well, applying for a first line tech support role.

Would like to get into linux based systems in the future not entirely sure on what path i'd like to take.

Now if anyone could point out if i'd be best served taking a different route, i'd appreciate your input!

Thanks!

2. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

Go for it!

Best advice would be not to worry about College\Uni at this time, you may not have the best grades, but if your enthusiastic and willing to learn then you have more than a lot of people out there.
    I see a lot of people going for degrees and coming out with no or little experiance and its a total waste, quite a few really struggle to get first line jobs cause they are overqualified but under experianced!. Yes the Degree is usefull but not untill you have been in the job for severaly years and are looking to move up into management. (Look into the OU in a few years time)

Your best bet is to get hands on knowlage of what you want to do, start of with the basics and learn your way up. your plan for certs makes sence, add to that some practical experiance, by part time work (paid or Volenteering) so that when you go for interviews you have both paper and practical experiance and you will get where you want to go!

Dont try to take on to many Certs or qualifications all at once, you will burn out (IT should be a relativly FUN experiance) and remember to mach your paper with practical experinace.

One last thing, its hard work getting into IT, if you read through some of the posts here you will see that its taken years for some people but it is worth it. So stick in when things get tough.

Best of Luck!

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally, I would do the following:

1. Do the free Englishs and Maths course (not sure if it's the GCSE in Maths and English or the GCSE in Adult Literacy and Numeracy).

2. Concentrate on getting your foot in the door - send out the CV's & applications forms, search the local & national papers, various job sites, etc...

3. When you get your foot in the door, ask about and take a look into the apprenticeship programs in your area. You may be able to do NVQ levels 2 & 3 with a couple of technical certs (eg MS, Cisco and/or Comptia), after that you may be able to achieve the ICTTech registration from the ECUK (via the IET for example) and then once you gain the pre-requites gain the LCGI qualification which is comparable to a level 4 on the NQF/QCF.

4. For now, look at the A+ and Network+ - both very good qualifications to gain as they give you a strong foundation on which to build.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security