Gr33tz from Scotland

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by root, Oct 18, 2010.

1. root

root New Member

Hey, I'm a twenty (just) year old who has been lurking on the forums for a while now and has finally decided to join up! :)
    Currently I have no qualifications, apart from Standard Grades from school, I attended college for 2 years (HNC/HND Hardware & Networking) but hated the tutors, learning structure, etc... it just never worked for me - and most of my class peers; we dropped out with no qualifications and completely let down by 'the system', (yes, that one commonly preceded by 'f**k the').

I've made the decision to study alone, at least until I am in ICT employment, starting off, probably, with my CCNA then working to secure CompTIA qualifications A+, N+, S+, and possibly RFID+, then CISA/M or other relevant security qualifications.

I don't want to obtain only vendor-specific qualifications but I believe the CCNA will widen the scope for me, I already have a deep set interest in ICT security and it's what I live and breathe - specifically; malware technologies, web vulnerabilities and the exploitation thereof and the use of address verification system in fraud and the preventions thereof.

I hope that these forums will provide a decent base for me to check up on the latest studying oppurtunities as well as to document my progress and track the progress of others :D

I'm sick of being let down constantly by local learning institutions/peers that share no general interest with me, I love talking about ICT technologies/security day in and day out and I've been cursed by being put in a terrible area/country.

Apart from ICT, my hobbies are my girlfriend and my radio controlled planes :D

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Welcome :p

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. root

root New Member

Thanks for the welcomes :D

5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome good luck with your studies!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

You most definitely should not do the CCNA before the A+ N+ Sec+

In fact i would not bother with the CCNA unless you have hands on access to Cisco kit. It is a very vendor specific cert and could actually make you look over qualified at this stage of your career.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I echo Blue's sound advice.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. root

root New Member

Well thank you both for the advice!
    I have the study material already so i'll make use of that until I stock up on CompTIA resources.
    From looking at CompTIA material, it seems like I have adequate knowledge already to take the tests, but wont ride in on my high horse and take the tests; the content I've seen so far seems similar to exams I have taken in the past. Are there any online mock exams that can be taken that people can vouch are not far off the real material, so I can help gauge what level these exams are based at?

Thanks alot for your support already guys, I can see this is quite a close-knit self development forum and it comes to me as no surprise, given the welcoming atmosphere :)

10. BosonMichael

There are, but my opinion is heavily biased, as I create content for a well-known practice exam provider. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. root

root New Member

No problemo, as long as the content is similar to the exam material :D

12. BosonMichael

Similar in concept, yes, absolutely. Exactly the same, no... that would be a braindump - an illegal collection of questions stolen from the live exam. Using those sort of tools can get you decertified for life. Gotta be careful about the practice exams you choose... :)

13. root

root New Member

Heard of braindumps, didn't know they were always stolen questions though, well, i'll take the advice into consideration, thanks :)

14. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

If you're looking for practice exams there are many vendors. Before investing, check out the source on certguard.com. I have found the following vendors give good practice exams: Boson, Preplogic, Transcender, and uCertify. BTW if you want the one with the best explanations of right and wrong answers then absolutely pick Boson. You won't find better quality answers!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  15. bays

bays Banned

这里有很多关于CISA的信息,你可以去看看,我也在看里面的信息,希望能帮到你。HTTP:t.cn/RsD19oa