got server now what?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Paul_o, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

ok guys and gals i have now got hold of a server to play around on, its running win nt4 server. to start with i want to get the hardware connected up right and then sort out the software configuration, so at the moment i want to get one base unit connected and working. i have the server a 4 port router connected to adsl and a pc base unit. the server has a nic installed and i have connected that to the router which also has the base unit connected. first question is that correct? i am now of to scour the net for info on setting up server nt.

Paul.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What do you want to do with the server? Is it going to be an NT Server? or do you plan on upgrading it to 2000/3? Is the server setup as a domain controller?

Before trying to connect anything to the server I would suggest that you get the server functioning the way that you want it to.

8)

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah i agree with simon... is this server going to be *strong* enough to run Server 2000/2003? maybe 2000...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

the server has a pentium 3 666mhz cpu with 256 meg ram, i have a trial of sever 2003, will it run it? i think its set up as a domain controller at the moment. on login it has the domain as rsd and under network properties it has computer name svr1 domain rsd and under network neighborhood its got entire network and svr1.

paul.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Paul,

Does it have one or more P3 Processors?
    I would check the 2003 HCL before you wipe off NT..

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What type of server is it? The spec should be ok for Windows 2003 in a lab environment.

You might need to get some drivers depending on the hardware spec, for example it might have a raid controller that is not supported under Windows 2003 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

the server is a compaq proliant ml750. had an idea last night. as the server has three 9 gig hot swappable scsi drives is there anything stopping me using one drive to put server 2003 on it and then simply plugging in the drive with the operating system i want to use?, obviously rebooting in between.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You should try and get a copy of the Compaq Smart Start software (hopefully you can still download this) and burn the ISO to CD, then boot from the CD. You will be able to configure the hardware RAID from there, at the moment you might have one logical disc in RAID 5 using 3 physical discs. You could break the RAID and have three partitions and then you can multi-boot.

Another option is to download a partition tool and spilt the one logical drive you have (if this is the case) from within Windows and then install Windows 2003 to that partition.

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. GW

GW Byte Poster

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA