Got my loan, who to go with?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by cHk4, Jun 10, 2007.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Really depends where you get your examples from, alot of unix stuff about too.

For basic examples shouldn't matter that much and you should really know what the example is doing ! I expect you should be able to remove #pragmas in simple examples without too much hassle.

I'd also reccomend going the microsoft route though if you are running windows just because you will probably find it easier. If you want to learn C++ though keep in mind what are the funky 'microsoft' bits while you learn !

2. nekky

nekky Bit Poster

The free express edition packs from MS definitely are a godsent(and the videos that show you how to use them). Thats how i learnt to program using vb.net for my final year project. There are also lots of websites (like code project) with programming projects and descriptions of how they have been done. You could also study them to give you better ideas of what its all about.

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: 70-270, 70-290 ...for now
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I would listen to nugget and use the £5000 to cover your expenses while you train.

If you use the £5000 on the course sorry to poke my nose in but will you have some other income to live off??

are you employed? if not there could be some goverment schemes about your area

You also said

for £5000 i would want the tutor to be at my front door, not just books and material

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Fair points. I'm recalling game code examples. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Can I just stick out my neck here a bit mate and say that I don't think you've done your homework on this at all.

You want to go with a TP, which is fine, but you don't know why.

You don't seem to have compared TPs to see what options you have.

You haven't checked out the certs they are offering you.

You seem a bit vague about what you want to study.

You seem chuffed that you have got a loan at a 'terrible' rate of interest.

Why take out a loan until you are certain about what you want to spend it on? Hell - buy a car, I would. What sort of loan is it? A CDL? If not, why not. If it is, how did you get it without endorsement from a TP?

You have already posted on another thread where you have asked people's opinions about the course you've been offered, yet don't seem to have listened to the advice given.

Seriously - have a good think about what you are doing.

:eek:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study. I have yet to take any training courses for the certifications in my sig.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'd cancel the loan and go self study. Banks have put me off loans and credit for life, why put yourself through the pain paying back the £5k over x amount of years?

Heck the 1st months re-payment would cover the cost of the books you'd need.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. cHk4

cHk4 Nibble Poster

Reason I want to go with a TP is because of the structure I guess.

The certs they are offering are MCTS, MCTS+ ( cant think of the name there’s 2 MCTS's ), MCPD and MCPDD.

Yes I am quiet chuffed I got approved of the loan to be honest, Microsoft Cert is something I always wanted to do and now I got the chance I am quiet happy :D Not a CDL I got declined by 2 of the banks which the CDL offered so I went with my own bank ( which I have an exciting loan with )

Believe me I have taken on board all the advice in the other thread. There was some great advice and it has been really appreciated. I have not just ignored it.

Boson you got a few certs!

Yea I kind of hate credit now and you are right first months payment is £252 :(

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCTS
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Your kidding me? Over how many months, I'd send off that cancellation slip now.

10. cHk4

cHk4 Nibble Poster

60 -_- or 192 a month with out the insurance ( reason its so high I had a loan from years ago so got more than I needed to pay that off )

11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hold on a moment! Your paying back 252 quid a month, for 60 months???

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  12. cHk4

cHk4 Nibble Poster

Yes, like I said I have another loan with them so im paying that off. 252 is if I keep insurance.

13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Phew, ok, didnt read that bit lol, was going to say, thats triple what your lending :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. cHk4

cHk4 Nibble Poster

Sorry didnt make that clear! the insurance is a rip of with out it with what I am borrowing I pay back just over £11,000. With insurance its just over £15,000 :eek:

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You'll neither be chuffed nor happy when you have to start repaying that loan. Take it from me, I was in debt for about 10 years paying off a failed business I started in the mid-90s. I'll never go into debt like that again, I can promise you that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just for the record I'm over 10k in debt through getting loans and buying a lot of rubbish on credit cards. I've been in this situation for over 5 years now, haven't paid off my personal loan for 3 or 4 months because of my change in circumstances, so the bank are going to have a field day when I have to phone them in the next couple of days to negotiate the repayments.

So think twice before getting credit.

17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

F*çk me.:blink

If I was in your shoes I'd forget the loan quick smart. If you take that loan you're screwed, and you'll live to regret it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Forget the loan mate, if you had got the CDL it works out at around £70 over X amount of years or something like that. Basically the repayments are manageable.

Perhaps you should be 100% sure about what you want to study before committing to a TP? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Do yourself a favour fella - save yourself a LOT of money - just pay eight quid for this, read it and I guarantee you'll cancel the loan.

You should never - NEVER take out another loan to pay off, or part pay off an existing loan. I don't think any financial advisor would ever give you any other information.

You are going to be in debt for a long, long, long time - it will hang round your neck like a millstone and you would be MUCH better off paying off your existing loan before deciding exactly what you want to do with your IT career. Forgive me if this sounds harsh, but I don't think you've fully thought this through. Your posts don't provide an indication of a clear path toward a particular career - and, of all the IT disciplines, programming is probably the one where taking a training provider's courses will provide the least benefit for you.

It sounds to me (and again, forgive me if it seems harsh) like you are paying fifteen grand (current loan notwithstanding) for next to nothing. The TP will provide you with LESS THAN 5% of what you need to know to pass any programming certs. You can learn it all yourself at home (I'd argue that those thinking of taking an MCSE or MCDBA would make better use of a TP than a programmer) and save yourself pots of cash.

You seem to have been saying that, basically, you are going with a TP because you wouldn't have the sticktoitiveness necessary for self study. If that is the case, then you will NOT achieve your goal. As someone who has taken a lot of certs in their time, I can categorically state that, with the exception of W2K Pro and W2K Server, I studied in my home lab for at least 100 hours for each exam. If that sounds like too much to you - then you need to re-evaluate now, before it is too late - I fear you may be saddling yourself with a massive debt that you will not get any reasonable benefit from.

Just one more observation - this is a general one, and not aimed directly at you, or meant to teach you how to suck eggs - in the past two months you are the third person I have come across who has been 'happy' to be 'accepted' for a loan. You REALLY need to read the book at the link I posted at the top of this post. I fear you may end up being in the 'sub-prime' debt market that exists basically to prey on those people spiralling out of control regarding credit. Some of the stories you read in that book will make you weep - and many of them started out in exactly the same situation as yourself.

Credit is EVIL. it is also entirely unnecessary - since I decided I was pissed off with paying £100 a month to my credit card company (most of that interest) about eight years ago, I cut up my credit card, paid off the debt and have been utterly debt-free ever since. The only outstanding debt I have is my mortgage (and I pay as much extra off of that a month as I can). Living debt-free CAN be done - it requires nothing more than will-power, basic fiscal sense, the ability to balance a chequing account and the nous not to spend money on things that are beyond your means. Seriously - get yourself out of debt as fast as you can - not deeper into it!

Sorry to sound so negative!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Blinding post Zeb.. i couldn't agree more!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)