Got my first perm IT position

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Necroscope, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Only took 2 years to get my first permanent IT position had quite a few short tem contracts over that time. It's a IT Tech position with a school, the school abit on the poor side and have a small IT department only 14 desktops (XP) and 2 servers running Windows Server 2003. Was shocked i got the job as I told them I dont have any experince with Server's, they said that they liked the fact I was honest and upfront that I dont have any experince with Server 2003 but was willing to learn :). There is only me and the Head of IT so I will get alot of hands on experince as the IT dept is in a bad way the 14 workstations are running slow there are another 40 workstations that dont work and want me to get the workstations working and also trying to pick up enough knowledge on Server 2003, I'm on a 1 month trial. I need to get a good Server 2003 book to read up on as the job dont start for two weeks any advice would be great.

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  2. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Congrats on the job, have a look at the 70-290. It should give you a good understanding of Server 2003 and the types of roles it performs.
    More importantly get stuck in as much as possible when you start!

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

congrats on the job :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the job!

2 years is quite some time so well done.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And this is how you make the jump to server administration. 8)

Major congrats! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Excellent!

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats and well done!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Congrats on the job m8 :clap

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good to hear and congrats:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like a great job to get stuck into and pick up alot of knowledge.

I hope it goes well for you

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  11. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Thanks for all the congrats. But the job went down the toilet last Monday, was meant to start this week but the school went into receivership because there biggest sponsor pulled out there funding, so have let me without a job :(. Damn shame as it was the job I spent the last two years looking for a small IT department where I could get my hands into alot of different things. Talked to the headmaster on Friday asking him if he would be interested in allowing me to volunteer at the school as they have also lost the other IT guy as he did not want to take a pay cut so has left the school. He said he was interested and would think about it over the weekend, to me that could be good because they keep there IT department running and have a IT guy in place if the school get out of ther problem and I would get a good ref and a enhanced CRB check. Any problems I come across and not sure of have books, google and certforums to find the answers :)

Thanks for the advice on the books got MS 2003 server and Minasi Mastering server 2003.

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680