Got my first interview!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arisen, Nov 15, 2005.

1. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Well well suprise suprise after nigh on 50 job applications i've got my first interview! That was hard work! And to be honest, this was the last company i expected to give me an interview! :blink

Busy reading through the interview preparation sticky!

Just wanted to ask, are hand gestures generally frowned upon during an interview, even if they help you to explain your answer? The reason i ask is because that's something i've generally done in the past and i've gotten jobs whilst doing that so, good or bad?

jobsite is the best!!! :D

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd say good. But thats just me.

I talk with my hands all of the time, to me it shows passion for what you are talking about. :biggrin

Tony Blair talks with his hands all of the time and he's not doing to bad for himself! :twisted:

3. Pedrito

Pedrito Nibble Poster

Just wanted to congratulate you on the interview :cheers
    Good on ya'

I know what you mean about hand gestures. I do that quite a lot, depending on what I'm talking about of course. Funny though, whenever I'm in an interview I tend to tense up a bit and my gestures become much more reserved.

I think as long as you don't start doing the Macarena routine you'll do fine. :biggrin

Here's a quick run-down: http://www.quintcareers.com/job_interviews/gestures.html

WIP: A+; N+; MCSE
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I've had people tell me that a person should never more their hands during an interview. I don't agree. I think a person should just act as naturally as possible.

If I had to stop using my hands when I talk I'd have to be sitting on them, and then my mouth would stop working.... :) :D :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Thanks for your posts guys!

Yeah, for me, hand gestures are a part of how i explain something or convey ideas so it would be difficult and feel un-natural to try to stop doing so, which is definatley not what you wanna do in an interview, right?

Funny thing is, when ever i've used hand gestures in interviews, it seemed to help the interviewer/s understand concepts i was trying to put across that maybe were difficult to do so with words alone.

Also, it's fun to watch their eyes follow your hands around!! :biggrin

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think conventional wisdom says that you aren't supposed to gesture...at least very much, but I'd have to agree that you also need to be yourself. That being said, I've been an interviewer in interviews where the candidate was *too* relaxed so yes, if you gesture when you explain things, it's probably ok, but try to put on your "professional" hat.

Congratulations on youir first interview and good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i think its a tech thing
    your generally dealing with complex explanations and more often than not trying to get through to non techy people
    hand gestures are definatly in :)

grats on the interview, its always in the least expected places!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well done on getting the interview, arisen :thumbleft

Hand gestures ? How can anyone say what is right or wrong. If you are being 100% yourself, and acting natural and being relaxed, then if you use hand gestures then so be it. There isn't a yes or no tickbock for "Uses hand gestures".

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Excellent news! Well done! :thumbleft

The best advice i can give you is to be yourself and swot up on the company. Employers love it when you ask them questions that only people in the company know about :)
    It is amazing what you can find out if you google hard enough! :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Congratulations on the interview, arisen! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

At last, I thought I saw a one for interviews in your new funky banner 8)

As for hand gestures, well they didn't hold back Magnus Pike :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Thanks everyone for the congrats and support, this is a fantastic forum! :D

13. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

good luck arisen! I had my first interview this month and it felt great to be getting somewhere.
    I agree with everyone saying just be yourself with regards to hand gestures, though one thing I do is try and mirror their hands (not too much like a copycat!) , if they rest one on the edge of the table I usually do the same.

fingers crossed mate!

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  14. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Thanks Glytch! Hey, cool blog! :thumbleft

15. glytch

glytch Nibble Poster

thanks!
    it's been really useful when I'm at other places and need to know a URL for an interesting website I've visited or to search for a specific term I know I've studied and made notes on.
    surprising how many times "olepro.dll" has been searched for and ended up there, also people searching for a mike meyers torrent file (which isn't there, both terms happen on the same page)

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: CompTIA A+