Got Fired Today- Is there a Way back?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NT Executive, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Sounds like a proverbial 'den of iniquity' you've landed in there. What you need to do in this business is figure out what you are best at and like the most and concentrate on that and continually develop greater knowledge and experience in that area. Its a fact that some work environments can work for you and some against. It depends on your temperament - some people like a lot of interaction, and day to day dramas, and others prefer more design and development type work which works longer term. Some people again like fire-fighting and responding to crisis.

You can consider legal action, and see a solicitor about this defamatory reference, or alternatively not waste any more time or confidence on this and move on. You should concentrate on the positive things you have to offer, and try and fit that to a particular job and work environment - in other words - stay clear of the wide boys.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  2. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Im gonna ignore this crap, BUT, im just worried about getting another job, this one isnt going on my c.v, so ill have to be creative, the ONLY thing im worried about in regards to this particular situation, is finding another job.

3. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

If its as bad as what you outline above then it may be best to leave it off your CV together. A period of unemployment would sound better, especially if you used that time to learn new and relevant skills, and could demonstrate what you've learned. On the whole what you need to be in the jobs market is positive and play down the bad things, and NEVER speak ill of a past employer at an interview, even if they were utterly horrendous. If you can't get a job right now, consider taking a course or (a LOT more cheaply) self-study in what you want to do and try and find your niche in the market. In my experience opportunities come when you least expect it and go to those who have stuck through the harder times. Once when I was out of a job many years back I got a job offer from a compiler writing company 1 full year after applying to them on spec, though I had already got another job by then and decided to stay with that. Good luck - keep yer chin up

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually you need to be careful, if this was a perm position and you don't declare it on your CV you stand a really good chance of being caught out (don't forget you will be getting a P45 from this company, their name and details of your salary are going to be on it).

As far as swearing etc is concerned, you have to remember that for the first three months of your new job you're going to be on probation, you NEED to be on your BEST behaviour, it doesn't matter if your colleagues swear, are late, talk about inane subjects, you HAVE to be whiter than white during that initial bedding in period.

Finally with regards to the letter, so what if it says bad things, it's still a role that you say to any perspective companies that it was a clash of personalities, you're not expected to show your letter to them and should they ask for references say to them that you prefer not to give the pervious role because of said clash.

I really think that if you're feeling like this about rejection then IT really isn't the ideal role for you, heaven knows what would happen if you fail exams multiple times, sorry but you really do have to have a strong heart and be able to take **** in this industry because it can get a lot worse.

My suggestion would be that if you're of a milder disposition then you should give up on IT now before it does you more harm, if however you grow a pair, learn from this (and stop swearing infront of customers) and realise you need a backbone then enjoy your career in IT because it can be rewarding.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Excuse me, but pipe down, dont come on here and tell me to get ''get a pair'' from behind your keyboard alright.

Its a stressful time right now, youv'e made your point above before, point has been noted, alright Judge Judy?

I'll make my own decision when Im ready.

And I never said I was perfect, but other member of staff have done the same and not been let go.

Also the boss deicded to call me on my phone 2 days ago and get me to send my c.v to a job where he thought there was a vacancy, just hours before making me out to be the employee from hell, so obviously something isnt quite right here.

Hope you understand what Ive just said to you.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Oh I would tell you to your face as well (what you see is what you get with me, I won't sugar coat it for you and those who have met me in real life from the forum will tell you I don't hide behind a keyboard), what I am trying to do is make you realise that this happens at all points through your IT career. I am also trying to tell you that it doesn't matter what happened in your previous roles (unless you make those same mistakes time and again and get let go from those positions every couple of months), all that matters is your current and next jobs, as long as you let them know that there was a conflict at the last place that should be all that matters.

If you don't want suggestions made to you on what you should or shouldn't do the answer is simple, don't bloody post about it because if you do you will get some people saying ahh poor you and get others telling you to grow a pair.

No you're not perfect but then no one is, if you read what I had said earlier you should take on board that I said you have to be whiter than white during your probation period, you need to get used to your environment and vice versa, they need to get used to you.

Again don't worry about what's been said to you about this position, yes it sucks but **** happens, learn from it and move on.

Oh and please understand that I do have the age and experience to know what the hell I am talking about, it comes with having spent years as a soldier and IT consultant, all I am trying to do is let you know the realities of the world of IT.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

''I was a solidier'' :rolleyes:

Is this some kind of wind up? cos last time I checked Gareth from the ''The Office'' was a fictional character.

Listen up.

I dont give a toss if you went to Iraq and single handedly disarmed nuclear weapons with nothing but a toothpick.

You made your point above, fair enough, second time aint a charm, im not gonna sit here and say ''Actually, some nobody soldier-boy off cert forums called 'simon d' says I need to pack it in....therefore It's all over''. :D

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, you made yours, doggie biscuit is in the post, but leave the sargent major talk at the keyboard ok along with the cringy crap about how your Steven Segal by night, I.T Consultant by day.

Point taken on board, some very valid points, some, not so valid.

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And you wonder why you didn't last long in your role, if you gob off like this it's not really a surprise mate.

9. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

:rolleyes:

Was waiting for that one to come....suprised you didnt use it in the earlier post. :biggrin

I didnt mouth off like that in previous job at all thank you very much G.I Joe, reason being because that was a JOB, and this is a FORUM, unless you tell people in your job about how you served alongside andy mc nab in the SAS and how your tough away from the keyboard.

If you dish it out, take it back, didnt they teach you that in the army?

I hope we can still be friends.

:biggrin

10. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Simon simply offered his advice, he's an experienced guy and you don't even take an interest into listening, then gob off because he was a soldier prior to being in IT?

If that's the sort of attitude you take into jobs you won't get far in IT

No wonder

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I was going to post something helpful, but I've kind of gone off the idea.
    My original feeling was that the termination letter was a bit harsh and uncalled for - and there are a few things you can do about that.

But having seen you fly off the handle and basically alienate a forum member who is ultimately an IT professional who has take the time to respond to your post makes me feel that maybe you do have the sort of temperament which makes people not want to work with you.

Sticking a few smilies on it doesn't change the tone.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I got to admit, I think you're quite funny lol!

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  13. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Yes, let's judge someone's entire character based on what he posts on cert forums......makes perfect sense. LMAO.

Especially, when that poster is minding his own buisness whilst someone keeps telling him to ''grow a pair'' and quit I.T if he can't handle a stressful moment.

If you call that flying off the handle, deary me, bit over-dramatic if you ask me, but i expected that kind of mob mentality to be honest.

Oh....wait am I flying off the Handle again?

14. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Thank you, and yes I am funny, customers do tend to like me too.....honest.

:biggrin

15. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I'm not surprised, although I can also see some customers disliking your attitude.

You've got some sympathy out of this thread, some decent advice and some harsh words... but they are all valid. I would just take it on board and move onto your next role.

If you claim you dont take nothing said by a forum member online to heart, then clearly you can move on from some experience from an ex colleague who you will have no contact with in your future.

Take it on the chin and prove to yourself you are employable!

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  16. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Why Is everyone so hung up on the customers thing? Listen, I dont chat like this infront of them, THIS IS CERT FORUMS, not a workplace, chill.:biggrin

Anyways im cool with what people are saying, what happened is my fault, i blame myself 110% even though I know I was let go for not getting involved in the boy scouts club at work, to be honest I hardly spoke to my boss, unless needed, which again, might not have helped, regardless of that, I failed, and im aware of that, i feel ive got a raw deal, but i have failed and i do need to take a look in the mirror for sure. (I do that alot anyways)

17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I am trying to advise you on the best way to handle things, I haven't stuffed my career choices down your throat, all I did was say that I can offer this kind of advice because of my back ground in both the Army and IT (10 years Army, 13 years IT), at no point did I say I was a former SF guy, at no point did I say how tough I am or how I handle myself.
    All you can actually do is resort to attempting to abuse me (had bigger and better) and if this is how you handle anonymous criticim then I shudder to think how you handle face to face confrontations.

You really need to simmer down on the attitude buddy, as far as being friends is concerned... unfortunately with friends like you who needs enemas (and yes, that's intentional).

18. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I can see what you're saying, but if you're job hunting it's worth while pointing out to you a lot of recruiters, managers et al know of this site. At least once, someone has got in hot water from what they posted on here, and it can potentially be a good avenue for selling yourself to a future manager if used correctly. So when you're ready to move on, what you've posted on here may well one day make a difference. Just MO.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  19. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

:rolleyes:

Just let it go......, youv'e been posting for a while, and now you decide to drag it back up all of a sudden,

Let it go, its cert forums okay, cert forums.....im not coming round for xmas dinner.

You made what i thought to be offensive comments like ''get a pair'' several times, I said my piece to that, you dished some out, you got some back, we agree to disagree.

Please stop mentioning the time you served in the army, it conjures up images in my mind of action man, gi joe and gareth from the office.....and this is supposed to be a serious conversation...(lol).

As you said above, lets put it down to a ''personality clash'' :biggrin

Still mates?

20. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

Well if a recruiter would like to judge my entire career based on a few posts on cert forms.

Well thats fine by me, good luck to them I guess.

Personally, I dont judge entire personalities based on what i see on the internet, but thats just me I guess.