Got an interview!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Qs, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Bummer.. oh well, i'm sure you'll succeed with or without them Qs 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I can't quite believe this....

Just got a call back from the recruitment agency concerning the role.

Turns out they're still unsure (apparently making a decision is a difficult thing to do :dry), and they've been going through the notes again. The other guys references came back badly they want to see me for an informal chat tonight.

*sigh*

Thoughts, people?

Thanks in advance.

Qs

PS - Yes, I may still tell them to go whistle for it.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I don't think they sound like a very professional outfit (IMO). Surely they should have checked the references of the final candidates BEFORE telling you that you were unsuccessful.

That said, if its more money and they do look good, it is possible its just their HR dept that aren't all that good.

**Edit: Can't hurt to hear them out by the way

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Unless the company is public sector, I didn't think references were asked for until after the job offer was accepted... so it's a feasible line, apart from the fact that I didn't think places gave bad references any more (due to the beautifully litigious society we live in).

An informal chat is an informal chat - you may even get a free dinner out of it! :)

What have you got to lose, at the end of the day?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I wouldn't go and tell them to whistle, you must have still given them a very good impression, even though you do appear to be second choice, just see how it pans out :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Wait and see what happens, I hope it turns out good for you :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I refer to my earlier statement.

Bunch of cocks!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Haha an 'informal chat'.. let us know what that consists of!

Just don't spite the job you were once wishing you had, just because you came 2nd.. :biggrin
    Good luck mate

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're a bitter, petty, short-sighted man if you decide to tell them to shove off simply because they decided to go with someone else. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Qs, I respect you too much to not tell you when you're letting your 'tude get the better of you.

EDIT: I know you don't want to hear this... but if that's truly how you feel... perhaps they were right in their decision. I wouldn't want someone with that kind of attitude on my team.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Qs

It's not how I truly feel, obviously. I need some aspect of that attitude in order to go in and blunty, accurately ask why they decided to choose the other guy over me.

I don't want to be chosen purely on the basis that the other candidate's references weren't good. That's just not cricket.

I'll go and have a chat with them tonight and let you guys know in due course.

I swear I could write a novel on this some day.

BM - I appreciate the comments.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. BosonMichael

No, you don't. That's the surefire way to short-circuit your job opportunity.

Just saying... if you did that to me when I'm interviewing you, I'd go with the next candidate in line.

Like I said, they probably chose the other guy because he was better suited for the position. Dude, there ARE people who are more knowledgeable than you in this world. Is it NOT outside the realm of possibility that ONE of those people applied for the position?

Them choosing the other guy is NOT a slight on you, dude!!! The other candidate simply interviewed well. At least... until his refs came back.

I'm telling you, man, you really don't want to make an ass out of yourself to the employer on this... not when you've got a chance to get that job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Qs

I get what you're saying, Mike. All new to me so probably approaching this incorrectly.

*deep breath*

Karma aligned. Check.

Right, in the correct mindset.

Will keep you guys updated. :)

Qs

13. BosonMichael

Excellent. Put on a good show tonight. You don't have to kiss their butts or kneel to them... but don't take offense at being "picked 2nd". Don't even bring it up. Act as if this is just part 2 of the interview you were previously on, when no decision had been made. Because... in reality, the final decision HASN'T been made yet. Not until both the employer and new employee sign on the dotted line. Here's hoping you are that new employee.

Remember, being picked second is better than not being picked at all.

14. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

definately would'nt worry about this. This is why companies check on references.

I see what you say about not wanting to be 2nd choice. But think how many people in the world who didn't apply for the position who would have got the job ahead of you. It doesn't really come down to what position of preference you were in.

Anyway, go in there with the same attitude you had for the initial interviews and i imagine you would find yourself being offered a job.

Whether you take it then or not, is up to you.

Best of luck.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  15. Shinx2k6

Shinx2k6 Bit Poster

Nice one :biggrin

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sounds like a good opportunity... I wouldn't take it personally either... things happen, people make mistakes. Perhaps it could be more then just a bad reference on the other candidates side, no one knows for sure except for the candidate and the employer. Being picked second doesn't mean anything either... just because the other candidate might of interviewed better, does'nt always mean he'll do a better job. This I know from experience of working with IT people who seems excellent in an interview, but when they get hired they change completely....

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. Qs

Right. Final update time...

I GOT THE JOB!!!! :D

Turns out their decision making between me and the other candidate was ridiculously close, as they put it "on the flip of a coin". The other candidate did get a bad reference from his current employer and didn't mention it throughout the entire application process, so they withdrew the job offer. More fool him.

Handing in my resignation tomorrow, and I'll be a fully fledged systems admin in four weeks. :ohmy

Payrises on successful completion of MCSA and MCSE, plus they'll pay for all my exam costs (I knew God didn't want me to pay out of my own pocket for those things anyway :p).

They also mentioned that the role is being offered so that I progress to IT Technical Infrastructure Manager in 2/3 years.

It was such an odd day yesterday, but I'm very pleased.

Thanks to everyone for the good lucks/condolacies, and particular thanks to Mike for kicking my ass prior to yesterday. It did help.

Right, coffee time. :)

Qs

18. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

That's great news m8, well done ! :biggrin

Hope you get stuck in and enjoy the new role !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  19. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Well done!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  20. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Well done you :hug:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA