got an interview :)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by leosdelsol, Apr 12, 2009.

1. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

:D today I got a letter informing me that I have been short listed for a trainee IT support job :D to say im well chuffed is an understatement:p
    I have an interview in a couple of weeks , the interview should last the whole day and will involve a half hour interview ,then accompanying engineers with the daily tasks, and at the end of the day an informal chat with user support manage and engineering team leader :D
    cant wait to get stuck in and put my knowledge into practice and fingers crossed get the job.:):)

just wondering if anyone had any tips for me regarding things I might be asked, just so I make as good an impression as possible as I really want this job

cheers Leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with the interview :)

You may want to see this post with some basic questions that have been asked at interviews.

Let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done mate. I was always told don't fidget in the interview and when you spend the day with the engineers they want to see you being keen so ask plenty of questions and always pay attention to anything they say. I remember when I first started in IT, its very exciting and the sky's the limit :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Good luck ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

Fantastic and congratulations. :)

I can tell you're very excited about this opportunity, don't be nervous about letting that excitement come through in your interactions with them. Most hiring managers aggregate all the information available and go through this process:

1) Can they do the job?
    If the answer is yes, continue. If the answer is no, next candidate. If the answer is maybe, look for a better candidate. Pay attention to what they are asking you, answer their actual questions BEFORE adding anything extra you think would be good to volunteer.

2) Do they want the job?
    They might not think of it like that, but they want folks that are enthused and want to be there, want to do the work, be a part of the team.

3) Can we all work well together?
    Obvious, will having your introduce personnel issues into the team. Basically, are you compatible with the company culture and existing employees?

If you can get to the end of the job and they are saying yes to those three questions above, you'll be in a good place for a possible job offer.

Oh, and one other trick I use to help keep things on a good balance is this...remember, you are interviewing them. It really works to think about it like that. Reverse the process; you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you. That way you can get to the end of the day and think to yourself:

1) I know I can do the job, cause I'm pretty good at this and I didn't spend the last year of my life by the glow of my computer monitor and 1000 page reference books so that I can get a job interview and blow it cause I wasn't prepared to do the nuts and bolts of the position.

2) Do I want the job?

3) Can I stand working with them? The company culture?

Of course, if you're desperate and absolutely have to have the job, don't let that come out in the process of the interview. But be enthused, be confident (not arrogant), and of course..be yourself.

Job interviewing, isn't it grand? Anyways, hope that helps a little bit.

J.

Knock'em Dead!

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure
  6. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

thanks everyone :) especially Triton for the great tips 8) a hope a nail it and dont become nervous like I usually do :oops:

as part of the job I should have skills in "basic awareness of network managment in microsoft NT/2000/xp server and TCP/IP networking"

are they talking about SNMP here, for the managment?

Cheers Leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  7. XDA

XDA Bit Poster

First of all, congrats with the interview! :D

I used to work at the NHS, so I know the user support manager and team leader very very well - My old bosses! :)

Just take it easy and relax. Both bosses are friendly and very easy-going. Dont get to stressed, as they wont expect you to know everything!

You'll probably just be doing simple tasks as paper jams, set-up a pc, set-up a printer, user cant print, user cant login etc. Its not all that difficult tbh. I would be reading up on Citrix mate, as they use it everywhere within the NHS. Thats the main one.

SNMP - I would worry to much about that. They use DHCP in most places, so you wont need to worry about that. I wouldnt worry about NT/2000, as 90% of the pc's are XP. Read up on server 2003 basics, as they may be a tiny bit of server work - Active Directory being the main one.

Apart from that, just take your time and think about what you are doing. Dont be afraid to ask any questions either!

If you do get the job, You'll prob see me from time-to-time, as I tend to pop in occasionally and see my old bosses! lol

Any questions, let me know! (Check your PM's mate)

Certifications: IT NVQ Level 3, ECDL, HP APS (2009) and CompTIA A+
    WIP: Lenovo (Warranty repairs)