Got a system administrator interview soon can someone quiz me

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mitufrim, Apr 15, 2012.

1. mitufrim

mitufrim Bit Poster

Got a system administrator interview soon can someone quiz me

it is mainly windows systems.

so its for a windows system admin role.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

It is really difficult to interview you as most places are different. For my Wintel role I was asked about the thing I'll have learned earning my MCSE. I was asked about my MCSE, how long it took, what tools I've used. I was also asked about vSphere and XenApp as my team also support them. It all depends on what the role will have you doing. Do you have any Microsoft certs?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I also work as a Windows/Vmware admin and when it came to windows I was asked mainly AD and Exchange questions... I would ask the interviewer what they're going to interview you on... and go from there.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

I sometimes sit in with our manager on interviews for our team. The interviews are quite varying, and don't go into specifics in an "Intense" way, but here are some examples I've known to be asked recently:

1. What port does DNS use?
    2. Explain in brief terms what a DHCP Relay Agent is?
    3. A high profile business app has failed out of hours. The user wants you to restart the server it lives on. Process documents say that you can only restart it with the approval of a certain IT manager. You call that manager and get no answer. How do you proceed?
    4. Explain why some DNS traffic is transported via TCP and why some is transported via UDP.
    5. Explain Incremental and Differential backups and the differences between them?
    6. I need to subnet this network (address given) so that it allows me to split it up into at least 6 different subnets. What changes should I make to the subnet mask?
    7. Can you explain what is meant by a "persistent IPSec policy"?
    8. What is the difference between a DHCP Reservation and an Exclusion?
    9. Why is it considered best practice to test changes in a "test" environment?
    10. Can you tell me what your understanding is of "transitive trust"?
    11. A user calls you complaining of a loss of network connectivity. Can you explain what steps you would take to resolve this, and in what order?
    12. You and a colleague disagree about the best course of action to resolve a technical issue with a server. How do you proceed?
    13. Why is it not considered a good idea to use PAP authentication for remote access?
    14. How many computers could I fit on a /27 network?
    15. What type of record would I need to create in DNS to accommodate an IPv6 host?
    16. What port is used for WINS lookup?
    17. A 2nd line user calls you saying that the user he is working with is having a problem with their network settings. He pings a resource, and it returns an IP address that he knows is incorrect. What is likely to be the problem, how do you resolve it?
    18. Give me three examples of "DS*...." command line commands and what they would be used for?
    19. A Windows 2003 machine that is a domain controller restarts overnight. When you turn up for work you notice it cannot start back up properly, you also cannot get it into safe mode. It may be a coincidence, but over the weekend some update patches were rolled out. You suspect one of these may be the cause. How do you resolve the issue.
    20. What is the difference between an Authoritative and a Non-Authoritative restore?

Our questions aren't very hard but we do try and ask a wide range of Windows based stuff. We don't stray too far away from Windows Server questions, because it would be unfair to start asking specific business app related things when interviewees have never been exposed to those apps.

Mainly we look for your response to the questions, they don't always have to be the correct and most efficient way of resolving the issue. It's just testing your ability to respond in a cool and calm manner.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What's your password?

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD