Google Desktop/Sidebar

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Oct 5, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Just downloaded this great utility...really fantastic except for one thing...I want to add the Cerforum RSS feed to it but I dont know how to do it? Any ideas on what the link for the RSS/XML feed is for this site? would be handy to have it sitting in the Sidebar for when new posts pop up on the site...if u wana see what it looks like check the post about desktop screenshots in the lounge (most of u know where!!) thanks guys :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/rss.php?

HTH

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

no its not that one mate but thanks...

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

So what exactly are you looking for here, NoelG ? Do you mean the CF Klipfolio ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well yeah I think its something like that...I will have a look at that link and see if whats Im looking for...thanks...

EDIT: well I have to download the KF program first and it will only work with that program...but surely i should be able to use it for Google? think I will have a play around with it and see what happens...cheers tho...

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

err, do you understand how RSS works noel?

Klipfolio is just a program for displaying RSS feeds, the 'klip' is just a bit of info and ultimatly points to the RSS feed

whats the problem?

if the google sidebar can use RSS feeds you just need to point it to the appropriate one
    RSS, RSS2 or XML (we have those three available)

The Klip is a special format to be used only with Klipfolio, it cant be 'used' in other programs

Edit: just installed Google Desktop and the CF RSS does indeed work perfectly with the Google sidebar 'Web Clips' component

just enter this in as a new url
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/external.php?type=rss

Personally I still find Klipfolio to be better at displaying rss feeds from the ammount of feeds I use, googles implementation seems a little clumsy when you have more than 4 feeds, just my 2c

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I tried that Phoenix and just kept saying unable to find feed...but I will give it a bash 2nite when I get home from work...and yes I do know how RSS works...I use it at work too altho not as often as I would like to since its always so busy in this damn workplace!!! which is why I want to use it at home...but I have installed KF and have left it on there for now...will play around with it 2nite...but thanks anyway guys...:D

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Did you highlight, copy and paste the link above, NoelG ? If so, then it wont work, as it's a truncated url (note the dots in the middle). Right click, "Copy link location", then paste the url into wherever - will work. :)

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I said I would do it 2nite cos I am at work...(working for Apple means using Macs)...so no the link wont work where I am now...hence I will do it when I get home...but thanks...

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Erm, I meant wherever the url is required, NoelG - not actually where you are just now. :rolleyes:

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

haha...I know Jak...sorry...just getting really ticked off here at work...its like the worst job ever...I needto get out of here or someone is going to get killed!!!

12. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Sorry, I guess I deserve it for posting that link with nothing else.

That link only shows you where to get the links for the RSS or Klip :p

This is the actual link to the RSS ;)

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/external.php

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

tomshawk thanks but didnt quite work...the link Phoenix left worked...so thanks Phoenix mate...all is good now...:D sweet....