Good job mine aint chip and pin

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, May 9, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ever wondered why you might not have enough cash in your bank?

Well read here

It was only a matter of time I guess...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

that was on the news last week... luckily i use Morrisons'.

3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Hey I use Morrisons too...best place to shop for food and that...Morrisons all the way I say...woohoo :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

It wasn't so long ago they had those adverts on telly. Explaining how safe chip and pin is compared to the signature.

On the news they showed new credit cards still have the magnetic strip at the back of the card and the chip on the front.

What's the point of that?

Some places like cafe's still swipe the cards.

About a 8 months ago my neighbour lost £2000 which she was saving up for her Wedding day. She was gutted to say the least. The bank blamed her, they were not very helpful and assummed because she has online banking she did not protect here computer. Well she has all the software (firewall, spybot, adaware, antivirus).

The thieves stole her bank details from Sainsbury's. One of the staff there had install a device so when the card was swipe it took a copy of the card. The bank in the end cough up.

My experience when I applied for a new Egg card, it came through the post and on the credit card there was a label saying 'ring this number to activate you card'

I thought that's strange, anyway I rang the number they answed Egg Card customer services and started to ask me personal questions.

What was my password and pin number?

What..?? normally they ask one number or one letter from the password or ask security question???

Wierd...I though....something's not right here so I gave them a different password, I was expecting them to say that's the wrong password but they didn't and repiled your card has now been activated. I contacted Egg on their website and inform them about this. Two weeks later it was on the news about credit card fraud through the post.

Q.) is it safe for banks to send cards through the post??
    Q.) If you were a credit card company how would you get CC to the customers?
    Q.) What about Web cards?

Later Andy 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+