Good Deal???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by asam.shan, Apr 18, 2008.

1. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

This forum genrally leans to self study and seems to be against a loty of providers however i have been offered a deal from one company, which gives me a years access to their software and live tutors and all of there courses.

They have offered me this for £1500 and i was just wondering your oppinions whether you feel this is a good deal or not.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: n/a
    WIP: a+, network+, CCNA
  2. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

Sorry i forgot to mention i am personally leaning to self study myself, however i am just wondering if a newbie with next to no experience can go down this route.

I am willing to put in the effort...whatever it takes.

Another plus point is that time is not a massive deal as i am currently in employment and earning around £300 p/w working in family business, but i just want to get away from that and a careear in I.T. is now a something that i am really passionate about achieving.

I just hope i can manage it.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's probably about £1400 more than you need to spend. If it were me, I can think of many other things I'd rather use that money for. But hey, it's your money and your decision. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I can understand the pluses of having tutors and also going with a provider.

The only thing I would say is that if you are a new started u probably will take a while to do the first few exams e.g A+ and N+.

If you were to buy the A+ book it would be about £30 & the N+ book would be around the same.

I'm not sure of current exam prices but I am assuming that the training provider will not fund any of your exams.

What I'm trying to say is:

Option a) If you try self study and don't like it, then you will have wasted £30.

Option b) If you try this training provider and don't like it, then you will have wasted £1400

I dunno, but to me it made sense to try self-study first because of the difference in cost.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  5. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I think that there's a hell of a lot of information to process by yourself, and if you're not fresh out of some learning experience, you might struggle to get into the correct mindset.

I used a training company, and found them to be particularly good. It was an instructor led course, however, rather than the remote experts described in this deal you've been offered. Personally I'm skeptical of companies like that. Strong resemblance to the 'experts' at retail companies. Ever spoken to the tech support at Virgin Media? Hm. I say you should buy a book. I've found the Sybex ones to be the best for me. Michael Myers 'Passport' books are good, but I felt that they didn't offer the same sort of reference material as the Sybex equivelants, and weren't nearly as comprehensive.
    Once you've had a good read, and conquiered the self tests in the books, try purchasing a testing engine. The 'Self Test' software was absolutely essential to my learning of Networking concepts.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  6. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

thanks everyone i have decided to go down the self study route for the time being

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

One thing I would suggest Asam, is that if you are still considering this provider for the future then see if you can find out what other students / clients thought of them before you commit to paying for it. I would take with a pinch of salt any testimonials on their own website and see if you can get some opinions about them from other sources.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

Thanks but have decided to self study and see how i get on