Going it alone in the big bad world?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by see_eff_see, Apr 14, 2005.

1. see_eff_see

see_eff_see New Member

Hey guys,
    I am nearing the end of my A+ study so I am wondering should I go it alone or try to find some work.

I am currently the "IT Guy" but the company main focus isnt really focused on Computers. So I am finding I am being passed on jobs that arn't really what I was there to do and not really IT related.

Have any of you guys started up on your own and have you got any tips for someone else thinking about going it alone?

thanks

see_eff_see

WIP: A+
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

ahh you've found out that other people think that "if it's got a plug on it, then it must be IT" :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Will do no harm at all to start looking around at the market right now, Alisdair - word is it's on the up anyway.

To be honest, unlikely that A+ on it's own will get you that job (though never say never). I'd say make sure you get the first cert under your belt, then maximise your CV to reflect the fact that you've gained it off your own back, and are currently putting that knowledge to use in your current postition.

Hope that helps :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just curious see_eff_see, what sort of jobs are getting handed to you?

Certifications: A+ and Network+