God it's hard to get a job with no hands on!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Network+' started by sakuraba1982, Dec 28, 2006.

1. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

sakuraba1982 don't give up. I have employed a number of desktop engineers and first line helpdesk techs and my experience is technical knowledge does have a slight bearing but work ethic and how you come across in the interview are key. I know the network and design at my place is very different to many other setups and as when I started have to be virtually re-learned anyway. (I'm sure it's same at many large companies)

My advice to you is keep plugging away and keep going for those IT jobs (to get your foot in the door) With your A+ and soon N+ even with no practical experience you are still more certified than many of my collegues.

Get as much practice with PC's as you can and soon you'll get your break into IT.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  2. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then offer employers more value for less money. Get your foothold in IT, gain experience, then leverage that experience into a better opportunity with a better salary!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. BosonMichael

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Erm Michael, the job that he went for was a Production Manager, which is presumably something to do with producing the publication.....8)

6. BosonMichael

Gotcha. Edited previous post.

7. sakuraba1982

sakuraba1982 Nibble Poster

so the general feeling is that with so many companies willing to train people for a fee i.e skills train , advent etc

employers expect these things now

I saw an MCSE engineer for 14 k the other day advertised

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSA 2003
  8. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

You're absolutely right. If anyone can produce a publication and administer servers at the same time, I would gladly lend them my Smash Hits 24 CD and wouldn't be offended if I never got it back again, I'd be in such awe.

The problem here was that the company were based in America and had a recruitment rep over here to set up the London office, who clearly had no idea of the difference between print production and IT. I think they thought that if you knew how to operate a computer, you knew how to manage a whole network and that it is mostly self sufficient, which you don't need me to tell you is utter balderdash

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  9. sakuraba1982

Just spoke to an IT recruiter on the phone who stated that employers will not be impressed by an A+ or N+ cert but also stated that it was not worth doing the MCSE unless i had 2 years in a job,

I'm starting to see a pattern here!!!

10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Personally I wouldn't listen to agencies as they are only interested in getting money for the most part. I once was turned down for a job due to not being qualified enough by an agency and on the otherhand was offered a job interview from a company directly and also invited to interview from two other agencies for an interview. What they had in common was that they were for the same job. So don't take what they say as gospel.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. sakuraba1982

ps sorry to vent guys n gals but this seems to be the only place where people seem to know what i am going through!!!!

12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Just keep plugging away mate and you will get your break in IT. I was in the same position as you 3 years ago and took a junior position and quickly that turned into a good job where my wage has increased by 75% in 2 years and will continue to go up with time and experience/certs. I work for a big law firm and have a good career but it took time and a lot of rejections.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  13. sakuraba1982

i suppose its about not losing the faith

14. BosonMichael

I disagree with the recruiter with regards to the A+/N+. I'd be very interested in an entry-level person with the A+ or N+.

That said, an entry-level person with an MCSE raises red flags in my mind. I agree with the recruiter in that you should have experience before pursuing the MCSE.

15. sakuraba1982

i agree that i will not pursue my mcse until i have a job all i need is someone who will give me a chance now

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree to a certain extent.

An apprenticeship is someone (usually a school leaver, but not always) who is willing to work for bladders in the exchange of working with a skilled tradesman for several years and gain his knowledge and skills - something you have for life.

I was lucky because I worked for a a big motor manufacturer who had a big budget for training, which paid the highest crap wage (if that makes sense), proper training at the workplace and loads of manufacturer training which involved lots of staying away in nice hotels, company cars and even the odd trip to France!

Maybe if some of these providers (or even individuals) provided services like this, there would be less people who have a *shopping list* of certification, yet no *Work experience*.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. sakuraba1982

I think the problem is that no employer wants to put out the expense when they can either employ someone who has been in the trades for a while or someone who has funded themselves

18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

True.

This is partly due to the education system. There was a time when people *who could make it* went to university. Everyone else, or people who didn't want to carry on with education learnt a trade, skill or maybe started a non skilled job.

Now, everyone seems to be going to university to do a degree in Eastenders or maybe something that is worth doing like medicine or computer science hence the lack of tradesmen.

This is why people are waiting a fortnight to have their leaking taps fixed or three weeks for their car to be repaired.

Companies know this and are prepared to go that little bit further.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It is frustrating trying to get your foot on the IT ladder, I remember it well after I graduated from uni and could not find a job whatsoever. I didn’t expect to walk into well paid job; all I wanted was a job that had something to do with computers and maybe even a server or two! That’s why I’m grateful for the job I have now even though it’s long hours and quite stressful at times.

Perhaps go for an MCP after the N+ or the MSDST? You can use the certs towards the MCSE and they will fit well on your C.V.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Talking from a change of career prospective, most things are hard to start off.

As pointed out, most employers want people who can cook on gas on day one. This is fine, but what happens when the older generation retire? As long as technology continues to boom, (is there any reason it shouldn't?) everyone should be soaked up.