Goals in 2K9

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Oct 28, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm still kind of timid on this one. Traditionally, in my role(s) as a temporary worker, the job requirements and thus the skill sets needed, have changed from situation to situation. What one job required would be quite different from the next...and the next and the next and the next.

I know that I'm theoretically in a permanent full time job for the first time since March 2006, but over 2 1/2 years on "the temporary trail" has left its mark. I'm not really ready to say "this is it" and that I can't suddenly find myself unemployed again. With that mindset, it's tough to set goals when, at least to a degree, the economy decides if I'm here for the long haul or back on the streets.

Pessimistic? Maybe.

If I try to take the "glass is half full" approach and assume I'm here for awhile, then I need to look at what this job requires of me and expand my skill sets in those directions. Hmmmm. Let's see.

Professional Goals:
    1. I'm often asked by the developers to perform various tasks in the Linux shell (bash) that make me feel awkward. One possible goal would be to learn shell commands in Linux better.
    2. With point one in mind, we use Subversion as our repository and I commit my content to SVN just like any other developer (though I'm a "developer" of content and not code). Another possible goal is to become more familiar with the various CLI commands relative to Subversion.
    3. Since I rely on GIMP for almost all of my graphic creation and editing, learning GIMP better would certainly be a worthy goal.
    4. Lately, I've been required to create some help files in vanilla HTML. I typically use the Gnome text editor rather than any sort of WYSIWYG, but the developer I'm working with on this project suggested vi. I gave it a whirl and discovered I'd forgotten everything I'd ever known about vi commands (which wasn't considerable to begin with). One goal could be to learn vi and use it regularly to create simple documents.
    5. A fair amount of work done around here involves JavaScript and jQuery as well as some Python (lately, Django has also been mentioned). I don't have to program jack around here, but I've always felt that if I learned a bit more about these technologies, I'd better understand what the developers try to explain to me. Problem is that I don't code on a regular basis, which is what it would take for me to become as comfortable in a programming language as I am in HTML now. Not sure how to craft it as a goal since it's not a matter of saying "learn JavaScript" but rather, "use JavaScript regularly". Since programming isn't something I regularly do as part of my job, I'd need to consider how to tighten this goal up operationally.
    6. There's another, more concrete goal involved in the coming year that's already in motion, but it's one of those NDA things, so I can't be explicit at this point in time.

Personal Goals:
    1. Last summer I read Stephen Covey's book "7 habits of highly effective people". Unfortunately, there's a difference between reading a book and developing the "habits". Cognitively, I understand the points made, but have never gotten past trying to operationalize the first habit. It basically is the habit of saying "I can" rather than "I can't". While I don't spend all day in a shadowy corner of my room rocking autistically back and forth, being "temporary" has lent itself to suggesting that I'm not "worthy" of a "real job". One personal goal would be to shed myself of this "dark skin" and learn that there isn't always a relationship between the circumstances of my life and my intrinsic self worth.
    2. This goal is related to the first. I read a book recently (actually, not quite finished) on Mussar, which is a 2000 year old discipline of spiritual growth. For the past 1000 years, it has been taught formally in Yeshiva's (Jewish religious schools). The basic principle is to generally become aware of the various "spiritual" aspects of human life, identify which of those aspects you need to improve upon, and begin to systematically improve on each of those areas in as you go through day-to-day life. I've read the book and am at the "identifying and operationalizing" part of the program.
    The personal list seems short, but acting on each goal involves focusing and achieving multiple goals. In the case of the Covey book, it involves 7 goals (habits) and in Mussar, the sky's the limit, though for practical purposes, modern Mussar study suggests focusing on 5 spiritual goals.

I've stopped short of saying these are my goals for 2009 because I'm still warming up to the idea of setting concrete goals. The next hiccup in my environment could push the reset button and require that I move in a completely different direction. Maybe I should start a blog and record all this stuff for "posterity". :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

My main goal at the moment is to finish all the renovating on my house, once thats all done then i might get round to studying again:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

2008 Goals
    *Spend more time with the wife and son
    *Lose a few pounds

2009 Goals
    *Spend even more time with the wife and son
    *Lose many more pounds
    *Get Linux certified

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Still working on it
    Gonna be March at this rate.
    After the summer hopefully
    Happening and getting there :)
    Not gonna happen.
    Will continue.
    Not gonna happen.
    Already started :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Man, that made me lol :)
    I think we all have to endure the odd retard at work.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Umm... goals for 2009:

Work:
    ITIL v3 Service Operations in either Jan or March.

Personal:
    70-640 in February
    70-642 in April

Also, started learning ESXi, and struggling... but it's fun.

Ooh... and got an easel and oils for Christmas (I used to paint and draw a lot when I was younger, and my wife wants me to start again), so I aim to re-learn my old artisty skills... I hope it's like riding a bike!

7. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

mmm for once in my life i actually have some focus and some goals, which i put down to this forum and a good start on my new cisco career.

Goals:
    pass the ICND2 exam which is booked for end of the month
    start and pass the 4 exams needed to gain my CCNP cert by end of the year

That will do me nicely.

Happy new year all and hope you had a good xmas.

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)
  8. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

off to a good start, can someone move this into the section "Goals in 2K9"

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Done.

10. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

I guess have to graduate from the University to obtain a degee (B-Tech) in Information and Communications Technology and hopefully get certified on MCITP(server 2008 admin):D... thtas actually the bulk of it for me in 2009

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Well, I'm on my way. Just wrote my first book review in HTML using vi, so I at least know it well enough to muddle my way through. It wasn't the most efficient project I've ever written, but more practice with the commands will help.

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I've got a bunch of them, about 13 to be exact :(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What will you do for the other 51 weeks of the year? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Well hoping to wrap up the 291 in the first quarter then maybe upgrade the mcdst to the vista one then also get a cca in xenapp 5. Then maybe see what takes my fancy after that.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

update

16. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hope i still have a job at the end of 2009!
    If so then Network+ will be taken in late 2009.
    Keep healthy & go to the gym and loose 1.5 stone!
    Oh and still find IT fun!!
    Get my website up & running.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  17. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Updated...

IT/Work Related...

• Pass 70-270
    • Pass 70-290
    • Pass 70-291
    • Pass 70-620
    • Continue working hard and gain another 5K raise over the year

Personal...

• Finish paying off my Car, another 4k to go... (Down from 5k, managed to clear another 1k in Nov/Dec :))
    • Go on a few weekend trips to cities around Europe
    • Continue learning and playing golf
    • Decorate my room, get a nice area for computer setup

8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  18. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

2008 achieved

N+ Certification
    Permanent post as Network Technician
    Moved in with my lovely gilrfriend
    Seen my team in a Euro Final (Although we were anti football what a buzz that run was!) Mon the Gers!!

Keep the momentum going!!
    This year will be hard to emulate the last but if i get that CCNA in the bag i'll be a happy man!:biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  19. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

great thread and great to hear people's personal goals too. in the past i;ve been over ambitious and often set too many goals. but here is what i;d like to do:

-set up virtual labs so i can work towards (but not necessarily take) the linux+.
    -set up virtual labs so i can work on things like group policy and scripting in a w2k3 domain environment.
    -learn the basics of php and mysql so i can create a basic database driven website.
    -get either a similar job with better pay or a job which will let me get more hands on with basic netwrok admin.

i may consider the following if i can partially achieve some of the above:

-purchase some used cisco gear so i can get hands on experience with the networking side of IT.
    -maybe doing some private support work/2nd job to save some money and gain extra experience.

i think this is far more realistic a target than i have made before and these are the areas of IT that I am personally interested in.

good luck everyone in 2009 and hope some of the personal and professional goals are achieved.

Certifications: 271
  20. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

2008 Goals

• Pass HND in Applied I.T - Done
    • Pass CCNA - Done
    • Obtain Driver's License - Done
    • Obtain Full-Time Job - Done
    • Finish MCDST - TBC
    2009 Goals

• Finish MCDST
      [*]Work towards MCSA
      [*]Get a slightly better paid job / a pay-rise
      [*]Do more working out with weights

Interesting thread, can't believe I didn't catch this one.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA