Getting started with A+ and other entry-level certs

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Johnny, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Hello, CF.

I'm new here - nice to meet you all - and after a bit of advice on becoming certified.

I currently don't have any certs, so I'm planning to start with the A+ and then go for the N+ as advised. I understand that the MCDST is another recommended entry-level cert to aim for and also that it'll be retired at the end of June. So, should I attempt to get the MCDST before its retirement and start the A+ after? Or should I just crack on with the A+ now and aim for the N+ next?

A+ > N+ > (S+) > MCTS
    or
    MCDST > A+ > N+

I don't know if I'm being realistic with either of these two plans of study to begin learning.

Any advice, guys? :wink:

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you just starting out in IT mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Yeah, I don't have any experience either, unfortunately.

I studied AVCE ICT and A+ in college a good few years ago but failed the A+. Been trying to get back into it over the years but have had other distractions that have made it difficult. But now I'm determined more than ever to get the A+ pinned down - true, it's just an entry-level certification, but it's a major goal that'll mean a lot if I can get it. Just a shame I'll now have to renew it every three years. :)

4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

In theory id say you can do the A+ in a month, especially if your already a bit computer savvy. The N+ Maybe a bit longer, but there is a big hoo haa about booking for the mcdst at the moment, there are some posts on here that will explain it more so have a butchers.
    Welcome!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Cheers, mate.

Just read the recent MCDST threads about bookings, and it looks as though there will be places available after March. Are you not going for it?

6. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Im doing my network+ at the mo, but slowed down a bit due to lack of work as no money for exam fee as yet! but if i do it in time i may do the mcdst next yes :D

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Even if it's "just an entry-level certification", that's exactly what you need to get an entry-level job. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Yeah, true. :)

Will having N+ and MCDST certs on top of A+ when applying for jobs work in my favour, taking into account I have no previous experience?

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

In my opinion, yes. All three are solid entry-level certs.

That said, don't wait to apply until after you're certified... start applying now, and as you get certifications, add them to your CV. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Johnny

Johnny New Member

Thanks, mate.

I will do - I'm going to start looking for jobs and also read other people's experiences of getting that first role. Read some nice threads on the forum today - determination and perseverance are what's needed. ;)