getting some new bits

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soady, Oct 24, 2007.

1. soady

soady Bit Poster

Hello again,

i did as u surgested and looked at the link u gave me again my new card Vs my current one the new Sapphire beats it on every thing including the pixcel fill rate as well, so i will be updating, to the new card,

as for my PSU I am hoping behond hope that it will work as it will be yet another expens that i just dont need, and as u have said before i think, skimping on a PSU is not a good idea it is one thing that i would put some money in to as it can caruse a lot of problems if things are under powered.

so i think that is it, my choices are going to be,

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz Socket 775 4MB Cache 1333MHz FSB Retail Boxed Processor

Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory C5(5-5-5-18 )

Sapphire X1950GT 256MB GDDR3 DVI-I TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM

Belkin Serial ATA 2.0 7-pin Cable - Red 0.6m (cable)

but if there is any other issues with what i have chosen pls let me know, i think i will be getting this around Xmas time or just after, it all depends how long it will take me to save up for it all. :)

Thanks one and all for your help

Soady

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Looks just fine to me. I typically go for a Soundblaster sound card... but to save money, using onboard sound is a worthwhile alternative.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I use onboard sound for two reasons 1 havent got enough room for surround sound setup and 2 don't have the extra cash yet.

But if I were to use a sound card then it would be a sound blaster, I remember my first 486 which had a soundblaster 16bit card in it. It sounded really good on Janes ATF joint tactical fighter :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael

You don't need surround sound to enjoy the sound effects and clarity offered by a Soundblaster card. Plus, it doesn't take ANY space at all: I have a pair of surround sound headphones, believe it or not! I like them so much, I bought a backup pair: link1, link2, link3, link4, link5

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. greenbrucelee

I have looked at the Zalman headphones before but never got around to getting any as I havent got a card yet, I suppose they would be ok from the onboard sockets too.

6. BosonMichael

If your onboard sound card has surround sound capability, then yes.

I'd highly recommend the amp that goes with it (sold separately): link

7. greenbrucelee

My onboard sound card does have surround sound capability 7.1 it is. I may get them this weekend as I tend to wake the house up when playing BIOSHOCK or something late at night.

As Shotguns only sound good a loud volumes

Cheers Mike

8. BosonMichael

Yep... nowadays, I turn up my speakers only when the kids are playing a game... otherwise, it's all Zalman headphones, baby! 8)

9. greenbrucelee

I am still looking a building my own rig and still looking at the Antec P190 case as you have the P180 am I right in thinking one PSU goes into the mobo as normal and the other one is connected directly to the HDD and CD-DVDRW + fans?

Does it just use the one plug or what?

10. BosonMichael

No; the P180 has just one PSU, and it plugs into everything just as any other PSU would.

According to Antec's Web site, the Neo-Link system uses one 650W PSU for the mobo and add-in cards, and one 550W PSU for drives and other peripherals. In my opinion, 550W is WAY overkill for powering JUST drives and peripherals, and 650W may or may not be enough for the mobo and video cards (why the video card doesn't get a dedicated PSU is beyond my comprehension). Personally, I've got a single dual-rail 500W card for all my drives, mobo, and X850XT video card... so do you REALLY need 1200W?

11. greenbrucelee

Probably not.

I was actually comparing the two cases and have decided that I am not going to go SLI so 1200W is a bit too much but I do intend to buy as high end graphics card as I can afford possibly an 8800GTX which requires about 450W PSU if I remember ceorrctly, only the one DVD RW and HDD, A Firewire card, Sound card, 4GB RAM and INTEL core duo 2 E6850 3GHz.

So I think I should be looking at 700W or above but not as high as 1200W.

12. soady

soady Bit Poster

hello,

i am doing ok for sound i already have a creative sound blaster audigy 4 with 7.1 surround sound and the logitech X530 speakers so i am sorted there, love them to bits and my nabughers hate them makes the walls shake :DDDD

soady

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

if you wana make earthquakes, I would recommend the new X-fi cards from Creative and couple this with the creative 5.1 T6100 speakers...well lets just say I have to be very careful with the bass, no matter if its movies, games or music cos my neighbours would certainly feel a shock!! :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life