Getting passwords from Outlook

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I went to have a look at someone's PC at Lunchtime who has had problems retrieving pop using Outlook. The problem is they can't remember the password for the pop server. I suggested contacting their ISP for a reset but they couldn't remember that either!

Is there a way of getting Outlook to show you the passwords like in Thunderbird?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Try this

(Result of a quick google search)

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Oops - that was for IE, try this for Outlook. It is shareware but I didn't see anything that would stop it from working for just one use.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Isn't that a bit like forgetting where you live :hhhmmm ? Tell them to check their bank statement :rolleyes: !

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Harry- thanks for that. Did a quick google but was having a blonde moment as it was finding everything but what i was looking for :oops
    Good link will try it out on next visit.

Baba- I agree with you, but i was looking for something quick and easy and my break was already extended to past what it should have been...

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hmmm.... You didn't bother looking at the account information? The mail servers are listed in there and I've yet to see one from which I couldn't find the ISP's name.

There are a few ways to do this.

1. One of the bigger ISP's here uses aliases and canonical names that are the name of town the person lives in. If they live in Clarkston their mail server is named mail.clarkston.com. However, if you do a Google search the result takes you to a blank page. When I do a traceroute the mail server's name it returns the "real" name of the server as it is an alias like many ISP's use. I then run a whois on that and have the contact information for the ISP.
    2. On a linux box I can run "host -C mail.clarkston.com" and it returns the fact that the hostmaster is fsr.net. I can then run whois on fsr.net and I have the ISP's contact information.
    Anyway, I'm sure there are probably some other very easy ways to find out the ISP's name and contact information but these two work very well for me.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

have you tried entering into a web browser the bit after the @ in the email.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This won't work if the ISP is using an alias for their email servers, as I noted in the post above. This only works if the ISP uses mail servers using their own domain name and I think you'd be surprised at how many do not.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. Baba O'Riley

"This won't work if the ISP is using an alias for their email servers, as I noted in the post above. This only works if the ISP uses mail servers using their own domain name and I think you'd be surprised at how many do not."

That may be the case in a big country like the US, but our tiny island, I've yet to see an ISP who doesn't use the domain name in their email addresses or mail server names. The only real variation is when you get something like [email protected]. It's still easy to work out the ISP in this case.

That's a point, Boyce, did this person not know there own email address then?

10. Baba O'Riley

That be the case in a big country like the US, but our tiny island, I've yet to see an ISP who doesn't use the domain name in their email addresses or mail server names. The only real variation is when you get something like [email protected]. It's still easy to work out the ISP in this case.

That's a point, Boyce, did this person not know there own email address then?

11. Baba O'Riley

:confused3 How did that happen? :confused2

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for all the input guy's :thumbleft.

Perhaps i didn't make myself clear in the original thread.
    The idea was to find a quick way of acessing the already entered passwords. They didn't know their ISP but i did from the mail server address.
    We did contact the ISP but because the dummy i went to see didn't know the exact monthly charge they wouldn't give it to us :twisted: .
    To be fair to the ISP they said people's kids phone up and want to know this and that.....
    Thanks to Harry for the link- i have bookmarked it :thumbleft

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I gave the shareware version a go and it only displays the first three characters of passwords. You have to pay for the full product before it will disclose the whole thing :cry:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

WIP: A+
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Neall- Another quality link, ta! :thumbleft

16. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Which is exactly how all of the shareware versions work. Sometimes it's worth the money to buy the full version. I'm personally using Outlook Password Recovery Master, since our IT guys like to export all your email to a .PST file, password lock it, then forget the password. I've had a lot of lunches bought for me over the past few weeks. :D

However, if anyone comes across a good "all in one" password recovery software for MS Office, please let me know.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity