Getting old

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Jun 28, 2008.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Trip..you know I was only joking!:biggrin (just being a cheeky monkey) I actually thought BM was older than you:oops:

I think you have valid point there and at the end of the day your only as old as you feel! I think ZX is feeling a bit down and unsure of himself or what he wants out of life. I guess it's difficult to feel postive about things when you feel lost inside!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Yes, of course I know you were kidding, Monkey. :wink:

No worries. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I was never a party person or into going to the pub etc.. so now that I am aproaching 37 (in a few weeks) I don't miss any of that because I was never into it in the first place. :) In fact if anything when I reached 30 I was quite jealous of my friends who had started to settle down and have kids becuase I didn't have that and it's something I felt was really missing in my life. I am now happily married (no kids yet) but am very contented with life. I'm definitely turning into my father very rapidly though, I seem to be getting grumpier as the years go by and using his little sayings all the time. It used to depress me but now I enjoy it. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Women have it worse. If they are not partnered up by about the age of 25 then it becomes increasingly hard to find a decent man.

I have two female friends who are like that - they are stunning and successful career women and they dress classy now but find it really hard to get noticed. It doesn't matter where they go, they just don't find the right guys. I get so angry for them as they really deserve some decent men...but none of the decent men seem to go out (probably in the same situation as some of you where their mates have stopped going out)

I'm really lucky as I found a fantastic husband, but I can certainly feel that, at our age, people see you differently - perhaps they assume that we the ladies have too much baggage or are too high maintanence or must be taken - perhaps it's just that they wear more clothes (a lot of the young girls around here don't leave much to the imagination and so get all the attention). I don't know but I know that when we all go out as a group or just as couples no-one seems to approach the single lasses anymore.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Wait until you start sounding like your parents, that's when it really hits you:eek: You start to think..I sound just like them and OMG there were right!:ohmy

Icaught myself doing that the other day, telling someone off for riding on the pavement and not the road on his bike, almost knocked me flying...it's the sort of thing my father used to complain at(although he did sound like victor meldrew from one foot in the grave):p:biggrin

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I think that's part of the problem on both sides, women and men go out in packs. It's difficult to enough to approach one women, knowing the things you really want to say, but can't because your mates will take the mick or their mates will!

I guess that's why they have those dating agency's - Matchmaker or facebook!8)

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I find myself doing that now. Even using gestures just like my dad does! and i'm going bald like him, i'm not yet 35 FGS!!!!

I felt old since i was 30ish, but then i've never been a partier. I ws married at 21 kid at 22 and divorced by 30 so in 10 years i had what most people might have in 30. But before i was 20 i was phissed most nights, had a few women and did some really stupid things.

Now i just act liek a 10 year old with the Girlfreind, like a few laffs and only a couple of drinks on a night. Plus i'm in bed by 11 most nights. Quick pass me slippers and me pipe ma!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I'm 32 and this is true in my experience! All the best ones, are.

I generally get either silly 17 year old girls or 35 year old single mums! There is no-one in between.

9. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

If you think its bad finding yourself saying the things you father said, wait until you wake up one day and find that you dress like him. Seriously though as you get older things that are important when your in your 20s are not so important when your in your 40s, i used to like a good drink when i was young but now i hardly touch a drop. You change throughout your life, try to enjoy the age you are at. Gary

Certifications: A+
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not pimping your mates on the forum are you?

:blink:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I'll be turning 29 this year, and truth be told, I'm happy about it. I did have a spate in my mid 20's when I really worried about getting older. I had such a good time growing up and going to uni etc that I didn't want it to end, ever. I remember getting really worried about getting older when I suddenly realised that, way back in the days when I was a single chap about town, one of the first things I did if I got chatting to a girl was sneak a glance at her ring finger to see if she was free or not. This really freaked me out when someone mentioned it to me, it was like 'when did that become important, damn!!!!'

Whilst myself and my mates pretty much guarantee at least one night a week we go on the smash, we find ourselves doing different things now, like seeing an exhibition, trying new things (I flew a helicopter this weekend, was one of the best experiences I ever had), maybe going out for dinner before heading out for drinks, rather than quaffing a bottle of cheap Vodka and watching You've Been Framed or something. The truth, I love it, I think because we all changed our mindset at the same time, we are not still trying to live like we are 19 again and getting into the old scrapes.

I think it's down to seeing what challenge life can throw at you next. Myself and my other half are trying to buy our first place together now, and I can't wait for that to happen. Once that's done, it will be a case of 'what next'? Career change, new hobby, getting new qualifications? A lot of people I know seem a bit down as I think they believe that they've kind of hit the wall. They've got married, had a child, have been in the same job for a while, and think that literally is their lot now for the rest of their lives, hence the fear of age.

On another note, I have always said I will only start to complain about age if I no longer find farts amusing anymore. Thankfully, I still do, so onwards!!!!

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

BosonMike, the ancient punk kid? Who would have though it?:twisted:

We plan to open a new forum section next week for match making.

ZX, I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee. The only constant in life is change. If you don't change then you don't progress.

If I may ask, what did you do when you were 2 years old? I'd say (like the rest of us) that you played with your toys in the sandpit. What did you do at 12? Still playing in the sandpit with toys? No, you matured and progressed through life. What about 22? Still playing in the sandpit or doing the things you did at 12? No, still more progress and change.

The point is that you are constantly changing and maturing throughout life. If you didn't then you'd still be sitting in the sandpit playing with your toys now (at 32 :oops: ). Sure, you can refuse to accept change and you will end up stuck in a rut. You'll probably end up as one of those 40 something bachellors that everybody's embarrassed to admit they know.

As I said, the only constant in life is change.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've got pictures of me sitting at an LCARS terminal in a Star Trek Next Gen uniform. :p GEEKS!!!

Yep, kids are awesome. :) We're trying to teach ours how to sleep in, to no avail. :rolleyes::biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. BosonMichael

No, Trip is ancient. :p I'm just an old punk kid. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. BosonMichael

Pfft. My wife found me when we were both 29. :biggrin

Of course, this opens the door for you to say that she didn't find a decent man, but I'll take that risk. 8) :biggrin

Then find them where the decent guys hang out. Know where my wife found me? Match.com. :)

We hate getting shot down. At least, I did. Back then, if you had wanted me, you had best approach me, cause I wasn't going to approach you. :oops:

16. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I'd settle for 7am on a Saturday. :) He's up around when I get up for work... 5:30 am. No more late nights for me.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think this a good way of seeing it. A lot of my friends, have the careers they want and have good lives, and it slightly narks me especially when some of us wereon the same uni course and my marks were better than theirs. But I'll keep trying.

Lots of Women are picky

Whats wrong with them approaching a man,as BM said years ago I wouldn't approach a girl it just happened now I am not bothered but Women should be able to approach a man theirs nothing wrong with it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...but my friends are 28 year old intelligent and pretty women. No kids (not that that should matter on the whole - though It's understanderble). You could say that they are picky, but I really don't think they are. When they've met someone in the past they've had to end it when they are messed around - eg man keeps having flings with ex or they find out that he's married / ready to divorce / scary threatening ex

I genuinely believe that they are genuine :0)

They are shy. Probably wouldn't pluck up the courage to go and flirt with someone else for the fear of being ignored. Catch 22 really!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  19. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Tell you what i never expected that amount of feedback at all, thanks peolple as it does help knowing that people are in the same boat or have had simialr experiences.

The days of living from paycheck to payceck i suppose were the best and thats what i miss, as going out now is sooooo dull and always the same places, so ill think ill sort that out. Which i can start doing this weekend as ive organised a night out in southport. Ive also ditched the Wii for an xbox 360, so i wont be bored if im stuck in.

I also think ill set out to make new friends, but still keep my old ones. One thing i noticed whil going out on the razz was that if i was out and just merry and met some new people, this would be classed as a great night. Thankfully the nights were i just wanted to get drunk are over, waste of time and make you feel like crap.

Maybe i do need to wake up and smell the coffee, but as i see it and im not sure if people see this as selfish, but i doubt ill have kids, i just dont want children whatsoever abd as for buying a house, well when you die you cant take it with you and if i have no kids ill only be able to leave it to my friends who will alrady have thier own houses, and wont need another one.

Anyway rant over, thanks for all your feedback guys and girls.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Send them my way :):twisted:8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?