Getting IT work abroad whilst travelling

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NWD, May 15, 2009.

1. NWD

NWD Bit Poster

Hello all

Does anyone have any experience of working in IT abroad whilst backpacking, I'm looking at jetting off to Australia, New Zealand and British Columbia Canada towards the end of this year and it would be good to be able to get some work here and there as I go to keep the beer funds up 8)

Does anyone have any experience of this?? I have 10 years experience in IT support, hopefully by August I'll have my MCSE on 2003 as well as my existing VCP. I don't care what I do even if it's just 1st line helpdesk stuff or fisxing PC's in the back of some computer shop somewhere.

If anyone can give me any pointers that would be great. cheers

Certifications: MCSE, VCP
    WIP: 70-649
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I cant give specific details, but I dont believe a holiday Visa (of which you would most likely be entering the country under, since you are backpacking) entitles you to do any paid work when you are there. Certainly not officially.

That means that most likely you would need to apply for, and obtain a workers visa prior to your entry to the county.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Australia Visa

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you are a UK national and under the age of 30 you can get an Australian Joint Holiday/Working visa for one year.

Its common for countries to have such joint agreements, Australians can do the same here for upto two years.

I know many people who have used this scheme. Its intended for backpackers to get temp work mainly.

In the current climate you'd be lucky to get much more than a bar job, you could spend your whole holiday looking for a helpdesk job.

I'd earn the money before you go, generally a much better idea unless you want to try holiday jobs like holiday rep, ski instructor etc.

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ yeah my brother went travelling round the world, but spent around 5 months in Australia and had the working visa rather than a holiday visa.

good luck with it though, something i would also like to do one day!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Majic_Munky

Majic_Munky Bit Poster

I thought NZ working holiday visas were only available to the under 25s....

Not sure though, you had better check!

Hope it works out, sounds good - I want to emigrate to Canada in a few years.

Certifications: BSc, A+, N+
    WIP: Lots!