Getting Employed as Web Developer/Designer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by gazzair, Jan 9, 2010.

1. gazzair

gazzair New Member

I've recently dropped out of university due to financial commitments. I now need to seriously consider what I am to do with my career. I was on a computing course and planned on getting into a web based job role. Hopefully I can still attain this, my issue is now; how to do this?

I have been doing alot of research the last few weeks. The general mood seems to be that a qualification (CIW, Webm@estro) isn't really worth much in getting in terms of getting employed in this area. What most people seem to be saying is that it would be better to save the money by buying books and getting self taught in such languages as HTML, CSS, PHP, JAVA etc etc, whilst building up an online portfolio, that will show case my skills and ability.

The problem I seem to be having with this is, when looking at job websites for web developers, they require you to send off your CV to be in contention for the job. My initial thought is that if I send my CV off, they will be looking for proof that I am good at web devlopment via information on my CV, i.e via qualifications?

How is it that you get the potential company to see your portofolio you have built, if they are asking for a CV?

Cheers, Gary.