Getting data off a laptop drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord Deckard, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Hi all!!

My mate rang me in a panic at an ungodly hour to say she'd managed to spill coffee on her laptop and it won't boot. I've not had chance to look at the machine yet but pessimist that I am;
    I've already got a 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapter cable, how would I go about getting the data I need to save of the hard drive? I know she's specifically got to save some college coursework that wasn't backed up (she's got most of it on USB sticks), will I need her windows logon password to get to the files when I get the drive plugged into another machine?

I moved house this weekend so all my books are boxed up and it's hectic as anything at work so I can't even get 5 minutes to have a google for info (it's taken me nearly half an hour just to get this post done!!).

Any help or advice gratefully recieved as always guys!!

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

If you remove the laptop drive and use your converter it should just show up as another drive on your machine. You shouldn't need her windows password, but if the files have been encrypted, then you will be wasting your time.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good morning Lord Deckard:biggrin

What a shame her laptop was not spill proof! I know some are like the acer ones!8)

Anyway what type is is Make, model can you give us any details. Also are you sure it's ide? most laptops are SATA?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Nah, don't think it will be encrypted, she's not that technical! Just a case of finding the right directory and copying data from there then?

Ucheekymonkey: I know its an elonex and about 4 years old so I really am flying in the dark I'm afraid.

Many thanks AJ, I should have guessed it would be that simple but my brains still a bit fuzzy after a glancing blow from a falling tumble dryer that managed to then destroy the pop off panel for my car stereo. I hate moving house, definitely not my best weekend!!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

AJ is spot on there! I was just about to say the same thing, might be an idea to check the HD is not flagstoned. By this I mean "The internationally approved, pioneering range of FlagStone Fully Encrypted Hard Drives offer unparalleled lines of defense against the loss or theft of Data at Rest from any laptop, desktop or tablet computer. " Source

We have these at work on the Dell Laptops and if you get the password wrong then your stuffed! :(

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Moving house eh? Ouch! that is a head jack, specially when you've got other things on the go:(:biggrin

Blimey a elonex didn't know they were still making computers until I found their website?

Anyway good luck mate:thumbleft

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You may need to take ownership of the folder before you can access the files.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada