Getting away from first line?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by HMV, Nov 4, 2008.

1. HMV

HMV New Member

I have a degree in network and computer support and have worked as a field engineer for a few months and the past 6 months iv been working for a broadband company. The pay isnt good and the hours are bad. Iv been applying for different support roles, whats the best way to get into a 2nd line/more practical work position, would it be possible to change direction to programming as i was good at that and had originally planned to study it.

Also a support postion with decednt pay i was thinking of applying for is contract work and it says the position is initially for a month, would this be to risky and mean i could end up without a job in a months time?

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi HMV, well in terms of finding and breaking into second line support experience is the number one key. Secondly, an MCP or MCSA would also help boost your interview selection process.

I cannot speak for everyone or all the firms out there as 2nd line roles varies and can include 3rd line responsibilities as well.

The money is not great in IT support these days, but if you have a flare for programming then you can command a lot of £££.

Lastly, money should not be the only motivating factor as a life to do other things as well as a keen interest in your job or career does help too.

Best wishes:), and keep on husling as the world of IT and many other career's for that matter is not easy.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well said mate..:rock took the words right of my mouth:p:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you kidding? The big bucks are there, trust me.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed. It might take longer to get to them... but they're there, and well worth the wait, considering the numbers of burnt-out programmers I've known.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Me thinks because I don't get paid a lot for IT support that's why is a general consensus:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Yep - I agree - The pay for IT Support / Helpdesk is sh*t....

1st / 2nd line pay isnt very good but gets better when you get to the 3rd line / network admin. Most people move on to other things, i.e., use their tech knowledge as a base to climb further up the ladder so to speak.

======

I see my technical skills / career path moving from (over the next 10 years or so):

1st / 2nd line -> third line -> helpdesk team leader -> IT Manager
    IT Support ---------------> IT Management.

======

IT Management pays very well but after X amount of years experience.
    As with project management....

I also plan to develop my other IT: web development, database admin and vb scripting skills to become a good all rounder. :)