Getting a Job...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gav, May 6, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A couple of questions, when will you be 16? And are you looking for paid or voluntary work?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

September and I'd prefer paid but would consider voluntary work if it was interesting enough :lol:

Gav

3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good lad. Even if you won't get paid it will help you in the future applying for jobs. Ideally you'll get paid at least something but as you say mate, the most important thing for you right now is to be able to pad out a CV with something other than just qualifications. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

I only ask due to insurance purposes, there are alot of things you can't do until your 18 and some things you can't do until your 16...

Yep, what jk said :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

So so tempting :twisted: but I'll be good :D . . . . :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Kitkatninja

I'm pretty sure I have no idea what you mean :twisted: :lol:

-Ken

7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Only two of the seven companies I wrote to (the smallest two) have bothered to write back which I thought was disappointing. :(

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Get used to it. Some people don't even send out rejection letters for jobs they've advertised, never mind speculative enquiries.

Unfortunately for you there's also a raft of laws concerning employing people under 16 which will go against you this summer. I think one of them says you have to have 2 weeks holiday from any job out of your 6 week break.

I've just volunteered for some unpaid IT work. In the long run a glowing reference from the charity I'll be helping out is worth more to me than a few pounds in the bank now.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. Len

Len Byte Poster

I agree with Soundian. You're lucky you actually received a letter back from them, and considering the current job market, its hard for anyone to find a job, even the experienced ones are probably having a hard time.

Obviously your age is gonna go against you this year round, so why not just do some volunteer work? At the end of the day the experience gained will be priceless and will be looked upon highly by employers.

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  10. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I did try to find some volunteer IT work but again, people only seem to be interested in those who are 18/16+...

:(

11. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate, at least you gave it a shot though so dont stress too much about it.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs