Getting a Job...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gav, May 6, 2009.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hi All,

So I'd like to get some sort of employment in IT. I'm not in it for the money, but that would be a nice extra :biggrin

The trouble is, my age. The law states that the following:

'I can work up to eight hours on a Saturday and two hours on a Sunday'
    'In the school holidays I can work up to eight hours a day, but no more than 35 hours in a week and for two weeks in the school holiday, I cannot work at all.
    'I must have a break every four hours'

I've checked various Job postings, and can't find any for the hours I'm after and of course, none are aimed at those under 16 or even under 18. So I figured the only way I can approach it is by contact companies directly.

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice as to which sort of companies I should be trying to contact, and how best to approach them.

I've got my A+, and soon (hopefully) my N+ and MCTS, but very little else (as obviously I haven't completed my GCSEs yet... :rolleyes:).

Alternatively, if anyone is in the South East Wales area, and would like to offer me a job.... :tune

Thanks,

Gav

2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Could start your own business.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You're currently still at school, right? How about asking if your school's IT dept need a helping hand during the hols, preferable paid. Or if money is not a issue with you, see if they will hire you as an apprentice. The minimum apprentice wage is £80pw, however as you're under 18, you'll be able to do the NVQ 2 & 3 - which are vocational qualifications for free.

Some thoughts for you :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Good idea what Ken said.

More the merrier. Its great if students are interested and can help out.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Also, go talk to any local independent computer shops

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Would e-mailing a company be a bad thing to do or would it be better to call?

Gav

7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi Gav,
    Me personally, I've always written to a prospective employer. It gives them time to mull your application over and also gives you a chance to show how articulate you are. Perhaps a letter starting Dear Sir/Madam, explain your age and that you need experience to complement your studies. Tell them you're keen, hard working and of a smart appearance etc. Just my two pence worth.

James

PS I'm impressed with how keen you are and before you've even got your GCSE's! Reminds me of me at your age! Don't forget to get some GCSE's under your belt too tho, especially your English and Maths. Best of luck, you'll do great :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

I'd say an e-mail would be appropriate if you were applying for a job, but due to your age (and still in school) it would seem an internship/apprenticeship would be better. So a phone call sounds like a better idea...An ever better idea would be to put on some nice clothes and walk up with a resume/CV and talk with some one face to face. If you do go the e-mail route, send it in the morning, not at 2am :)

Like wagnerk said, try and talk to your school's IT dept. or the school board's IT in your area.

Good luck on the exams.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  9. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your replies :D I think I might write them a letter and include my e-mail address somewhere on it.

I really doubt I could forget about GCSEs! In fact, next week I have a GCSE Science Exam, and another one the week after, and a Maths one a fortnight after that!

- Gav

10. Kitkatninja

Hey mate,

Good luck with your GCSE's and the job/experience hunting :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  11. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I have another question :tune

Who should I address the letter to? 'The Manager' on the envelope, and 'Sir/Madam' on the inside?

Thanks,

Gav

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

That would be fine. You could also gain some extra points by popping in to the shop or company and asking for the name of the person who would deal with your request.

Best of luck!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi Gav, IT Manager on the envelope and Dear Sir/Madam sounds respectful enough to me. Well done, I'd give you the time of day if I received your letter so you should be OK. Cheers, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  14. Kitkatninja

If you can find out the name of the IT manager before you send the letter, that's another point :D

-Ken

15. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I've got to go to the post office tomorrow, so I figure I can get all these letters sent off whilst I'm there.

I always feel uncomfortable writing about myself so can somebody please take a look at what I've written and see what they think?

Thanks

Also, I chose to address it to 'Sir' on the inside and 'The Manager' on the outside. Apparently writing Sir/Madam is actually quite a poor way to start a letter. What do you think?

16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Huh? Did you start using computers when you were 2? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

No, I used to have a 386 laptop not that long ago. Great for word processing :P

18. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The letter is well written but tbh I think you will find it difficult to find anything for six weeks only.

It takes time to get up to speed on any network even just doing the entry level tasks and six weeks is just not enough. Unfortunately contract work is not an option as you have no experience and wouldn’t be handed the keys to the network and left to get on with it so to speak.

Your best chance of getting a placement would be to apply to any local computer repair shops. If they invest 6 weeks in you to get up to speed you could perhaps work part time on a Saturday when you return to school after the summer hols.

Hope this helps mate. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi Gav, write "Dear Sir/Madam" case the boss is a woman (like mine).

Also in my opinion, change "In this time I was wondering if your company would consider employing me in an IT based role." to something like "I would like to enquire about the possibility of working with your organisation during this time so that I may gain industry experience to compliment my studies".

Something like "Thank you for your consideration" at the end always went down with me as a Team Leader

Good luck mate

Jim

20. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Taking on board what you've both said, here's the revised version: