Get some money for my IT certificates

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mikeinch, Mar 30, 2009.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Seems to me like just one of those post where something questionable is said, they pretty much stand back and watch us moan and hack about it. Don't think this will ever get anywhere might as well lock it now.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But... you won't be. That practice is condemnable. Just because "no one will ever know" doesn't make it right.

And, in fact, Microsoft and Cisco both know that "certification rental" is a problem, so they have VERY specific rules about this very thing. I don't have the exact details, but I believe Cisco's program states that you have to work with the company full-time for at least half a year to qualify to be listed under their program.

So... do what you will... but if you do it, I hope your certifications get stripped. :thumbdwn Call me "mean-hearted"... but to the contrary, I have a very kind heart towards those whose certifications are damaged by the actions of people like you.

Admins: In my opinion, this sort of behavior is as ban-worthy as braindumping.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BosonMichael

That's not the purpose of certification rental, GBL. Certification rental is where you allow a company to falsely claim that you are their employee for the purposes of getting more "partner points" for their company, which makes the company eligible for discounts, promotions, and most importantly, business referrals.

With regards to the doofus who started this thread, he doesn't understand that nobody's gonna pay him for his CCNA or MCSE... the Microsoft partner program only gives 3 points for an MCSE on staff (a drop in the bucket), and I doubt the CCNA gives much of anything for Cisco's program. Still, the practice itself is repugnant - it destroys the validity of the partner programs, which then devalues our certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Ah right get you.

Well this is just as wrong as braindumping and yes this thread should be locked and the poster banned imo

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. mikeinch

mikeinch New Member

Let’s be realistic ....
    In real life when you need gold partnership for Cisco you need to have 4 CCIEs ... so you can get it by
    1 - you hire ready CCIE for a lot of money
    2 - you can pay to someone from your company to become CCIE ... but this is not so easy and it will take some time ....

So, if you find someone to "works for you" and it he is already CCIE ... it will be the cheapest and fastest way - right ?
    Gold partnership gives you 42% discount by default from GPL ...
    So, let's not talk bull**** ..... people do it for real...
    If someone tells you that certificate is only **** paper do not believe to this guy ...

I give up ...
    Mike

6. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Please do give up. Companies doing this are part of the problem the IT industry has with its image.

You are complaining that you cant "reclaim the money" from your certs, but its people like you who drive down the value of them and make it more difficult for honest people to get the full value out of them.

Good luck in finding a muppet daft enough to take you up on this.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  7. BosonMichael

Fine - if you don't believe me, then see for yourself... when you took your exams, you agreed to not rent your certification out for a company you don't work for by signing the Cisco Career Certification and Confidentiality Agreement, here. Pay particular attention to Section 4.1, which says:

Why, that sounds EXACTLY like what you plan to do!

Then see what those "sanctions specified in Section 4.2" say:

Doesn't matter whether "people do it for real" or not... it's against Cisco's policies.

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

IF you do really know your stuff why not hire yourself out as a part time consultant, or better yet let the missus hire someone to do your current job so you can get back into IT.

Renting out a title is pretty dishonest by yourself and the company who scams people into thinking they have highly trained and certified staff.

Otherwise take it on the chin and continue with your life and keep the certs as a momento.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal