Get a load of these babies!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by binbox, Jan 8, 2006.

1. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Heard a wisper about these drives about a month ago but this is the first time that I have been able to find any information about them anywhere. Holographic drives that take 300Gb media with a tranfer rate of 20 Mbytes per second, Shipping to start this year and promise of a 1Tb disk within 3 years.

Brief review

Press Release.

AWESOME :rocks Can't wait to get my hands on one of these.!!!!

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

neither can i ! Makes SATA look pretty poo! :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ill take it with the same pinch of salt I have taken it with since i first heard the concept 10 years ago :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Concept maybe, now a reality. ;)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Put this info on here because I thought It would be interesting to the other members Pheonix, and many of us could be supporting these in the years to come. As Wizard said "Now a reality" you should know how much things advance in less than ten years, otherwise we wouldn't have Jet planes, microwave ovens, PC's, floppy disks ect ect ect ect ect.

Sorry if it didn't interest you hope everyone else found it thought provoking. :eek:

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Binbox, my comment was merly meant to provoke the thought of 'is this for real' its very common for cutting edge stuff to be announced way ahead of time, this is termed vaporware, and some of it never materialises, despite having pretty pictures, mock up prototypes (that dont really work) etc, some are even scams to get investment finance

the point was this holographic storage has been talked about for over 10 years, and nothing more than pure speculation has been announced, it seems odd that a company all of a sudden has a product going to market without the slightest hint of technology development announcements over the last few years

whilst its possible that it has finally come to fruitation out of the blue, i mearly stated how things like this should be taken with a pinch of salt

provoke all the thinking you want, that doesnt mean you cant have a pinch of salt with it does it?

7. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Sorry if I miss understood your post Phoenix, but why didn't you post that first not just a short line which seemed to undermine me even posting it. You are Cert Staff and I like others come here and PAY for advice, knowledge and sometimes practical help not just short one liners with no substance.

Climbing down off my high horse now guy's sorry about that

8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

This will be the end of backup tapes (Thank God)...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Actually I got completely the wrong impression from the title of this topic and clicked on it by mistake.

Sorry.
    I'll get my coat.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

:biggrin

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

LOL Jonny, nice one

Binbox
    you are not required to pay for any advice you recieve here, you pay to support the site, not for the advice given by members and staff for free during their spare time, and despite your belief, no body is required to give a paragraphs worth of response unless they feel the need

now, perhaps we can get back on topic :)

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I know I'm not a premium member atm, but I was for 6months until recently, but I never saw it as paying for advice when I was. I just saw it as a way to contribute to a site that was very useful and had friendly people to help out when needed, and to help out myself a little.

As I underdtand it, none of the staff at CF are paid, they are all volunteers and the money from the premium members goes towards hosting etc...

p.s. I hope the new drives are for real, they could be very handy! :)
    p.p.s Damn you Phoenix!! you got in a minute before me! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Binbox,

Just to set the record straight can I just say that none of the staff here at CF are paid for what they do. We are simply here because we like being here and helping others when we can.

The fact that you like many others (myself included) have paid to become Premium Members should not be considered 'paying for advice' but paying to keep the site up and running.

Anyway, Mod bit over. :offtopic

EDIT: Must learn to type faster, both Pheonix and Modey beat me to it! :dry

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Bin,

I was/am a Premium member as well as staff matey. We all take part in this great forum to help one another.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Me too.

:offtopic

BTW thanks for the link. As said previously, it will be very interesting if and when these things turn up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys,

A legitimate issue has been raised here that I'd like to address. We do NOT ask any Member to pay us for being here - CF is an entirely voluntarily-run site, free to all. We do provide the facility whereby Members can make a donation if they feel what we do here is of some worth, however, no-one will ever be asked to make a donation.

Monies raised from the Premium Membership scheme primarily pay for the domain and web hosting fees which are ongoing, for additional upgrades to the site software (I believe we are now on the latest upgrade to the second Forum software that CertForums has had since the start). Also, there is the now-legendary "CF piggy bank". This is money left over after paying for the above, and is used in emergencies. In the past, this has been used to take legal advice on a matter we as a site were forced to address. We also once made a contribution to charity on Members' behalf, but as this caused some disagreement amongst some Members, the money was returned and paid for personally by SimonV, so it is unlikely we would do this again without full consultation of our overall Membership.

As stated also, no Staff Member takes a single penny for any of what we do at any time. This makes it easy for me to handle annual pay reviews, as I am happy to double any hard-working Moderator's wages if they work themselves to the bone looking after the place while I sit at the back sipping Marghueritas :)

For more information of what Premium Membership gives you, please click on THIS LINK

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  17. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Sorry for getting everyones backup didn't mean to, just thought the comments were abit lacking in substance the info has been there for a while but mainly military and major oil companies and 10 years is an awfully long time.

Also didn't mean to imply anything with PAY remark I paid because I love this site, Just felt a bit upset by the comments :soz

Phoenix let me buy you drink as way of an apology :beers2

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's cool.
    Make peace.
    What Gav said. I'm a premium member. I don't pay for advice or help, I just believe strongly that CF is worth keeping going. I give money to the RSPCA too, but I don't expect them to help out when my cat is sick.

I think this issue has been resolved, but it doesn't hurt to get some perspective from time to time.

P.S. I'm not sure that 'moderator' is an apt title for Phoenix, any chance of introducing a 'terminator' membership?

:biggrin

Seriously though, in real life you don't always hear what you want to. Phoenix has his own way of expressing himself, but you would do yourself some favours by listening to him!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

A good point Jonny. In my many years of posting on Internet forums it has become apparent that even with the use of emoticons people can sometimes misinterpret another poster.

On most other forums this can get out of hand and lead to flame wars. I have never seen this happen here. One of the best things about this site is that people treat each other with respect and as adults.

This particular issue has been resolved in true CertForums style by offering a beer. Nice 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Beer is the lubricant that greases CertForums' wheels. :D

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+