Get a job in IT with no experience

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by daroos, Feb 9, 2010.

1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Again referring to my post just above, why is it deceitful to omit certifications? As I mentioned earlier if someone asks me about them I would say sure I have them, why don't I list them? because they aren't pertinent to the roles I am seeking, the same could be said about the OP were he asked 'I am not listing it yet because I don't want it to go against my lack of experience'

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It would be deceitful if you listed the CCNA and you had *not* passed the exams.

People taylor their CVs for some job roles so why would you want to rave about the CCNA if you are going for an entry level IT job - the two just dont go together.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I not only omit certs from my CV but also tailor my experiences to the role being applied for. Never would I lie, but if its a Team Leader role, I focus on my experiences managing a team, appraisals, efficiency monitoring, MI. If its a technical role I emphasise the times I trouble shooted network problems, messed with GPO's, Server builds, AV management etc. The reason I do this is that I've worked in IT for 10 years since I was 20. If I put everything down my CV would be probably 5 pages or something daft. I keep mine short and to the point at 2 pages.

I have 3 MCTS's but they are such a mouthful I generally just put MCTS, maybe MCTS: Hyper-V instead of MCTS Vista Configuration, MCTS Hyper-V Configuration, MCTS Vista and Office 07 Deployment.

Omitting is an intelligent way to reign yourself in a little IMHO and fill criteria 100% if possible, not 200% i.e. for a Service Desk position I have a CCIE. Its just going to place yourself out of the acceptable range of candidates for the position and also raise eye brows as to why you aren't aiming your sites at a higher role.

With regard to the person wanting to get into IT without experience; Of course it can be done, just make sure you apply for entry level jobs, and study for entry level certs and with a bit of luck, you will land your first role. Volunteering is a great way to gain some experience, perhaps at your school, college or local charity if they have computers. Good luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Fair play, Mike is very good at delivering his opinion.
    Whilst I might not agree initially, I would be inclined to think along this way because of how effective he is at explaining things and the fact the guy speaks from experience . Done any teaching in the past Mike? :p

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. DapperDan

DapperDan Nibble Poster

I hear what you are saying BosonMichael, and I agree.

For instance, I can speak fluent French (English is my first language) but I do not put it on my CV because I feel it is not relevant to the jobs that I apply for in IT, although I have been told I should include this by recruiters, my parents and other family members etc :). This all because I wanted to be an interpreter when I was at school but was interested in IT as well, so I chose the latter. I normally tailor my CV to each job I apply for. I sometimes omit certain things, and I sometimes include certain things depending on the role.

I suppose if a system admin job came up and one of their offices were in France, then I would probably include that I can speak French on my CV.

Certifications: ITIL v3; A+, Network+
  6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

You'd do well with my company, we started in France and we have to put what languages we can speak on our online Who's who system

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A lil' bit. ;)

Thank you for the compliment, kind sir. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I'm curious how this discussion would be different if it centered more on someone with just the CCENT or on somebody thinking about obtaining the CCENT. I have my A+ from many years ago and I have some Help Desk experience also from many years ago. I've been studying off and on for the Net+ for a while and when I saw the changes about having to recertify I thought about shifting my focus just a bit and studying to take the ICND1 exam as my next step. I'll probably go ahead and take the Net+ now as I'm not that far off from feeling comfortable with sitting the exam and if I do it by the end of the year I'll retain the cert for life.

So anyway I'm not sure the question has much merit for me but it might for someone a few months down the road.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  9. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

To the OP

You can definately get into IT with no expierence, as we all had to start somewhere.

Just keep on applying for the jobs you see and something will eventually come up. Maybe write to some of the larger companies in your area to see if they have any part time work aswell.

Can i ask why/how you done your CCNA?

Thanks

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  10. BosonMichael

That is an excellent question. The answer is that the discussion wouldn't (or, rather, shouldn't) be any different. The CCENT is simply half of the CCNA. Look at the CCENT objectives: these are not things that an entry-level tech would be expected to do - or allowed to do - in an entry-level job.

I'd recommend the CCENT for anyone who is just beginning to touch Cisco routers in their job or is being asked by their employer to get certified so that they can start to administer Cisco routers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

You are very welcome! :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I agree but I would add to this:
    ... or is expecting to have some exposure to Cisco networking equipment in the near future or works in the place where Cisco gear is used and can shadow more experience colleagues.

To add to the above:
    Thing with Cisco certifications is that they expire. So let's say someone does not have any experience with Cisco and gets certified. He keeps looking for jobs and because it's hard it takes him 9 months to get a job. He gets the job and it happens that new employer does not use Cisco equipment. He works there for year and a half to get some experience in IT. After that time his Cisco certificate is due to expire in next 9 months and he still hasn't got any experience. Then, he has 2 choices, upgrade to CCNA (without experience) or let it expire. Both options are not so good, really. Are they?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  13. BosonMichael

Yep... the key being, as you correctly describe, "near future". Even being allowed to shadow is, in my opinion, a valid reason for beginning Cisco studies.

Only if its time to start working with Cisco routers at the recert time. But you can't really plan for what's gonna happen 3 years from now, can you? You can certainly have career goals... but you can't know what employer is gonna hire you or what equipment they are gonna want to implement. :)

In any case, I agree with your assessment. ;)

14. TTab

TTab Bit Poster

I'd recommend not mentioning the CCNA straight away, if you want to impress an IT manager at interview for an entry-level position, learn some hands-on skills. The ability to crimp UTP cables, spot the difference between cross-over cables, configure a static IP address and use Netsh to automate changing IP addresses are all good examples of core skills, that build confidence between you and your boss.

Then after a few months, mention that you are CCNA qualified, if you have built up a good reputation, your manager will no doubt be delighted at the additional skills, if not experience, that you bring to the team.

Or you could just braindump a CCNA like my colleague, then look mystified when asked to crimp a cat5, nor have the faintest clue what ip subnet zero or RSTP means. He has kept his job, through a mutual manager / sys admin incompotency pact, however their names are now mud amongst an ever-growing circle of people. I suppose the moral of the story is that actions speak louder than words (or letters).

Certifications: MCP 70-270 MCTS 70-680
    WIP: MCSA / CCENT
  15. BXCracer

BXCracer New Member

Hello everyone,

For a while I was just a pasive reader, but after reading this discussion I decided to join too.

I have a bit different opinion than BosonMichael and others who say that CCENT is not an entry level cert and that you better of going after N+. I think that both certs is all about basic concepts of networking. In adition CCENT contains a bit of configuration of Cisco hardware, which is not a bad thing. Also as Cisco is more well known name you get better chances of recognition of your knowledge.

By the way I came upon an interesting interview with Jeremy Cioara on almost the same topic we are discussing here. So if you want his opinion: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1375311

16. RandyFears

RandyFears Bit Poster

Spot on i feel. The key thing is getting into the job and building up a GOOD reputation. Experience is pretty much key over anything else. I have the CCNA and MCSE and the amount of times i will ask somebody who has less qualifications than me "how did you do that?" Important to know what you are doing but many network admins and engineers will be more than happy to help somebody who is keen and has a willingness to learn. I found listing my qualifications a bit of a hinderance when trying to break into IT so i "dumbed it down" a bit. Got in and a bit later happened to mention what qualifications i had and it has gone from there. Showing a good attitude will reward you once you do the really hard part and manage to break into it.

Certifications: never enough
    WIP: so many and so little time
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sorry, but that sounds like utter nonsense. They aren't going to suddenly think you are great because you have revealed you have a CCNA. They are going to respect your experience and skills based on what you demonstrate, not based on what you say you have.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  18. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Antidrip

What you have done by posting here, and I must admit you have suceeded very well, is Trolled and that is against our Rules and guidelines.

Also, recommedning the use of Braindumps is also against our rules. The links in blue will take you to the relevant places. It does not matter what you think, braindumps are cheating.

Carry on the way you are posting and I will not hesitate in taking stronger measures.

This post has been reported 3 times to the mods. All you had to do is post that is had been reported and leave it at that. I'm certain the troll enjoyed his lunch.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong