Gas Suppliers

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Oct 25, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Guys I am stuck at the moment...how do I find out who my gas supplier is in my flat? I know my electricity supplier is Powergen but does anyone know how to find out who the gas supplier is? Thanks all peeps...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ummm....... stop paying money to the gas. you will soon find out.

if you dont have a gas supply at present, just pick one, phone up and request to be connected, you dont really need to know who supplied it previously, especially if you just moved in.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the gas is already on but I dont know who supplies it...I just need to know who and then I can deal with it from there...maybe I will just have a look around the place for any old bills lying around...

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Why don't you ask someone who knows, like your landlord, a neighbor, whoever rented you the apartment, etc? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but this is pretty funny. You slam people all the time for being idiots because they don't know anything about their computers, but there is some very basic, everyday life stuff that you don't know how to do. Figuring out what utility company supplies what is about as basic as things get.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yeah I know what u mean...but the landlord wont know cos he didnt know who the elecetricity supplier was...as he dont deal with it himself (dont want to be lumbered with the bills) anyway dont worry about it...I can get it sorted just thought someone would know of a way to find out who the supplier was...

6. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

do you pay d/d or buy the cards?

d/d will have an account name, or you should at least get bills from the people.

if not, do as suggested and stop paying "them" you'll soon find out mate!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You're renting from someone who doesn't even know what utility companies supply services to his own apartment buildings???? I find that very hard to believe. I've never rented anything, anywhere, that the building owners/rental agents didn't know who the utility providers were. And you have no neighbors at all? Everybody in the same building will have the same utility providers.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

im not sure if that's true over here freddy.

although there's a big chance im wrong but i think every seperate household has the option of suppliers.

could be wrong though as i've only stayed in rented from the army. but my block of flats in germany we all had the option of gas, electrickery and cable etc....

i do find it hard to believe about your landlord though mate. don't you have to tell him when and to who you're changing stuff?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Moom is right...over here things are different. the landlord can choose not to pay for the gas and electricity and its upto the tenants themselves...which is this the case here. my rent is £50 a week...and this doesnt include any bills at all...if the landlord decided to include bills (water, phone, gas, electricity,etc) then it would be more rent to pay...but since its only £50 its upto us the tenants to pay for the bills in the house, hence why he doesnt know who the supplier is for gas and electric...the landlord only cares about getting his rent and so long as we are paying our bills he is happy...thats not what bothers me anyway...cos I would rather pay for my own phone, gas, electricity, water, sky, internet by myself (or share with the flatmates) cos that way we all know whats being paid and who is dealing with it...but like u say Moom it is hard to believe but some landlords in the UK are like that...there are those who are worse and wouldnt let u change the wallpaper let alone set up your on internet connection (the ruthless ones rip you off big time!!!) so this way I feel much better cos I am the one in control and dont have to worry about it...

EDIT: a note about the payment method Moom...it appears to be via a giro slip or D/D cos I couldnt see a lost to use the card and I know what that would look like...

10. Fergal1982

also, utility providers can change from house to house. it all depends who you set it up through. ultimately it all comes from the same place, but they arent who you pay your bills to.

best suggestion is to just stop the payments and wait for the reminder.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

i havent started payin anything cos no bills have arrived...but saying that there is a bunch of letters behind the front door for the previous tenant(s) and I know its a crime to open someone elses mail (but I aint going to do that) but if I find a letter with a gas company logo then I can from there...what do you think?

12. Fergal1982

sounds good. dont open it, but take the name and call the company, tell them you are new in the flat and arent sure if they are supplying. they should be able to help you out. if that fails, RTS the gas letter and the gas company will likely send out another addressed to the occupier.

Fergal

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

sweet will probs do that then...thanks mate...

14. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

cheers for that Elvis might just do that....