Gaming Time, PC or Console

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by onoski, Jun 25, 2009.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi all, just wondering how much time you get to spend on PC gaming or console gaming. I for one just got the Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 PC footie game but haven't got round to playing it yet.

Just the other day was looking at getting an X-Box 360 or a PS3 console but taught would be a waste of hard earned £££:) if I don't have time to play on it. Well, lets hear your side of the story:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

PS3's and Xboxs are good but are totally flawed with their cooling capabilties.

I had 4 XBOX 360s before I decided to go back to PC gaming. They changed the XBOX 360 to incoporate smaller chips (elite) and the theory was that the chips being smaller then they wouldn't overheat as fast but they still do.

The same goes for the PS3 although they haven't brought out a newer one yet with smaller chips to my knowledge.

PC gaming systems can and do have good cooling capabilties although getting or building one can be expensive and in my opinion you get what you pay for.

Pay £200 - £400 on a console that will overheat and die

or

pay £800 - anything to have an upgradeable, cool gaming system.

As for games some games are better on consoles than they are on PC although quite alot of console games are poor ports or PC games

Some games are better on PC and should be left on PC.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I play about 4 hours a week, most on PC (some on the Wii; when I get back into exercising then it'll be 1 hour a day with the Wii :) ).

To be honest, I wouldn't get myself another console until the new next gen ones come out, I'll stick with the PC :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It seems like the consensus is games are played more on the PC than on consoles. I think I get the gist as I too personally spend more time researching and working on the computer hence bought the soccer game for the PC as well:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Meh, gaming on my ps3, sims on the PC as much as I love my PS3 FSX just wouldn't work at all on a console :D and to GBL you mean the xbox has cooling issues ;)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. greenbrucelee

PS3s break too, I have seen it happen.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I play on the PC - hard to say how often, as it varies. As time has gone on, I've had less and less time to play. But I do enjoy PC gaming.

Perhaps here. Most people in general are into console games... that's where the big money is right now. That said, there's nothing that can compare to PC gaming. Console gaming on a couch is fun... but the PC keyboard-and-mouse (and gamepad!) interface is simply superior to "button mashing".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Most of the breakdowns are attributed to corrupt updates, I've still got my 60GB Special Edition from launch and have hammered it big time, it gets a bit noisy now and then but after a hoover, shes good as new :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It this for real? After a hoover:)

10. greenbrucelee

my mates went when we were on that FPS that launched with it, the gpu melted like in the xbox. They gave him a replacemnt

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

True, that's why I almost got persuaded to get a console, but couldn't afford nor would I have had the time to get it's money worth out of it.

12. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

The console investment is less, it normally just works, and I am still on my first xbox three years on.

I find to stay current with PC gaming I will realistically need to spend approx £200 - £300 every 12 to 18 months. Add in the PC games often have a lon setup time, IE install, patch, fiddle with steam and Games for windows live and then, maybe you might get to the point of configuring the graphics settings because this game requires new card and wont run without Pixel shader 4, oh and did I mention drivers and Direct X and more anti piricy stuff then you can shake a large stick at and while thats going on I will see you online with my xbox.

That being said I have just bouht a new graphics card so I can play Dawn of war 2 prperly and beta test Champions online.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not after you buy the games, it isn't. PC games are *so* much cheaper than console games. Plus, I can play a blue million Flash-based games, free of charge.

Plus... you're going to buy a computer anyway. Which is cheaper, a computer, or a computer and a console? ;) Add in a decent video card for LESS than $100 (and perhaps a PSU to power it all) and you're good to go for many years. Plus, a computer is upgradeable. That console isn't.

So do PCs, for those who know how to use them. And this crowd definitely does.

I'm still on my computer I built three years ago... and it shows no signs of slowing down. The one I built before that - 7 years ago - is still kicking. My kids game on a 10 year old box.

You really don't... not if you're doing it right. My last video card was an X850 XT. Cost me about $120. And it was playing everything I was throwing at it. Only reason I upgraded to an HD 4830 was because it was dirt cheap - $70! And I got $25 for my X850 XT! So... $45 for a major upgrade, and I'm able to play new games at 1920 x 1080? Sweet. And now I'm good to go for another 3+ years.

...and getting your butt kicked against PC gamers because of the interface. :twisted:

Nobody says you have to purchase from Steam, I don't know any serious PC gamer who bothers with GFWLive, and if it takes you longer than 15 seconds to fix your graphics, you're not doing something right.

Got nothing against consoles... they have their place. But those arguments against PC gaming simply don't fly... not with a PC-literate crowd.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

As BM has said, there is no need for PC Gaming to be an expensive pastime (compared to in the past anyway). It's probably the best and easiest time I have known in terms of good cheap hardware and a stable and easy to use OS (Vista) for PC Gaming.

As for the original question ... some weeks not at all, then when I get into a new game quite a bit. :) I recently spent quite a lot of time with Dawn of War 2, and since my wife was busy writing school reports, it was a good opportunity to really get into it.

Just bought the DLC for Fallout 3 also, but probably won't play that properly until I have finished studdying for my current exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. Gingerdave

Ok the game that really put me off PC games was the setup for Company of Heroes - Fantastic game but over an hour and a half of patching before I get to play.

As for cost i think my current spend on this PC which is 3 years old is about £470, including the graphics card and assoicated power supply upgrade. The card i nothing amazing a GTX 260 but I needed a new PSU to be able to run it.

Also I know this is a PC literate crowd, however time taken to get Dawn of war working correctly including install with Steam and GoW maybe 15 minutes.

time to get Ufc Undisputed 2009 working on the xbox, including install: 5 minutes. most of that was the inital install - which is optional.

I am not against PC gaming, I just think it requires more effort, owever there are some games which only really work on a PC, so I play them on that, some gams are better on the consoles - so I play them on that instead.

However if a tittle is multi platform I will tend to buy it on the xbox as I find my of my gaming is on that.

16. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  17. Gingerdave

Modey it is good isn't it.

Fallout 3 was also very good.

Am currently waiting for Batan Arkham asylum though...

18. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I used to play quite alot but when the kiddiewinkles came along that obviously started dwindling right down. played battlefield 2142 for a couple of years (was pretty much thye only game I played) Sold my games pc and bought a WII instead. I'm lucky if I can get 20 minutes gaming time a week at the mo so wii games are perfect for me quite short and you can just pick em up and play without any faffing. Loving mario kart at the moment and trying to get my eldest used to stearing the cars!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  19. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I was a PC gamer until we got a Wii. I think I'm more addicted to the Wii than I am to Linux.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  20. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

I always go back to PC gaming. Have an XBOX 360, put have to agree with Michael you cant beat PC gaming. Especially for strategy type games, Age of Empires/Age of Mythology - love those games!

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+