Games Consoles: dont have a clue!

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Sparky, Dec 18, 2006.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I used to have a Sega Master system and then a Mega Drive. After a little while I got a Sony Playstation, but just use my PC for games now and that's not very often. The kids have got a Nintendo DS Lite each.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I used to be real big on consoles, until I bought the most useless lump of attractive doorstop I have ever had the mispleasure to wave me thumbs at

The Sega Mega CD :x

I still curse myself to this day for buying it.

PC all the way for me now, emulate all the classic old SNES and Megadrive games on it.

aying that though, Res Evil 4 on the PS2 nearly ruined my social life

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I can even remember having Pong. Remember the football, tennis and squash TV game?

Was great fun!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Raff,

Was the 600 the same technical spec as a 500 but physically smaller?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I cant remember the spec now, but it was the smallest one

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I had a few 500s, 1mb memory upgrades, second and third disk drives, man the amiga rocked! :)
    been a PC addict since i got my first one though

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Almost, the 500 had half a meg of RAM as standard. The 500+ had 1 meg and an updated kickstart (kind of the equivalent of a BIOS). The 600 was the same as the 500+ but without a number pad so it was a little more portable but caused a whole heap of trouble with games and software that required the num-pad to play.:x

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Luddites!! LOL! I'm not going to go into all the Amiga incarnations as I'm only home briefly for lunch, but to answer some of the questions;
    1) The Gameboy micro is technically the same as the gameboy advance/SP so your gamewill work fine Sparky. The non compatibility refers to the origanl gameboy/color.
    2) The 600 had the same chipset as the 1200 so a few 500 games wouldnt run due to incompatibilites and the fact the built in hard drive interface stole some of the system ram. I seem to remember it was also something to do with the way the ram was adressed as fast or chip as well.
    3) Another World is actually available for the PC! Download the trial at http://www.magic-productions.fr/games_details.php?game_id=1

I'll add my opinions about current consoles later!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

True, but the A1200 had AGA graphics and the A600 only ECS graphics so a lot of games were released either in two versions or were only released for the 1200. You could get the original A500 kickstart on floppy so it made the newer Amigas backwards compatible with the older games.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Oh, you sod. Do you have any idea how long it is was I was working in a computer shop selling amigas? You've got me looking at wikipedia now and reading up again. How much have I forgotten? Sure I've got an amiga sat in my attic somewhere, looks like I'm going digging....
    As an aside, I used to have an amiga I painted black and put a spectrum logo on. Used to put it out in the shop now and again to confuse people....

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA